International Simulation Football League
*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings (/showthread.php?tid=4971)

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - bovovovo - 09-30-2017

If you've been keeping up, the inaugural season of the DSFL has been defined by widespread parity. No one team was obviously better than the others, or even slightly better than the others. Last week, I predicted that we were about to see at least one team break away from the pack and become the obvious front runner.

I was completely wrong.

Four out of the six DSFL teams have a record of 4-4. One is somehow sitting at 5-3, and one is at 3-5.

Also over weeks 7 and 8 every single team won one game and lost another (except for two).

This makes it pretty hard to do power rankings. My rankings have been all over the place this season, with teams rising and falling all over the place in stark contrast to the more constant NSFL power rankings. Maybe at the end I'll graph them both out for comparison's sake.

But anyways, here's the power rankings of a league where literally anything can happen and we don't even have a clear idea of who's on pace to make the playoffs and who's not.

1. KCC The Kansas City Coyotes (4-4) ?+1

I'm going to preface this by saying that that I think ranks 1-3 are pretty even right now, and the Coyotes being number 1 doesn't mean they're obviously the best in the league.

But they've recently beaten the two teams I have at #2 and #3 so I think they deserve this spot.

The Coyotes are an interesting team, allowing the fewest amount of points in the league and having the best passing attack in the league, but they're not really stellar in any other area. They had back to back road games, and came away with a loss to the resurgent Pythons and a victory over the Blues. Their biggest opportunity for improvement is likely their 3rd down conversions, where the last two weeks they only converted three 3rd downs out of 28.

2. CHI_Blues The Chicago Blues (5-3) ?+1

Another team that went 1-1 over the past two weeks, but they had two home games.

The Blues continue to defy logic by being the only team with a winning record even though they have a negative point differential. They've scored 132 points this season (best in the league) but allowed 149 (worst in the league). Their defense is actually the worst in the league in every single category except pass defense, where they're second-to-last. And this isn't some high-powered offense with a terrible defense situation, because statistically their offense isn't performing that great either, but they keep scoring points. And now they're the only team in the league with a winning record.

3. SA The San Antonio Marshals (4-4) ?+1

Not a lot to say here, to be honest. The Marshals narrowly beat the visiting Luchadores 14-13 in come-from-behind fashion, and then lost on the road to the SeaWolves.

The Marshals continue to commit by far the most penalties in the league, which has been absolutely killing them. That's not the only problem though, because they struggle to put points up on the board and their offense has scored the lowest amount of points in the whole league. They'll need to shore up their offense and cut down on the penalties if they hope to comfortably make the playoffs.

4. POR The Portland Pythons (4-4) ?+2

Watch out ladies and gentlemen, the Pythons are here. They were constantly at the bottom of my power rankings (and for good reason), but they have a lot of active players and it looks like things may be turning for the better. They are the only team to win both week 7 and 8 games, and in week 8 they completely dismantled the visiting Luchadores 31-3 (it was even more of a dominant victory than the score indicates). I can't put them much higher than this until we see if they're for real, but keep an eye on this team to stay on the up and up.

5. NOR The Norfolk SeaWolves (3-5) ?0

The SeaWolves have been defying logic for most of the season in a similar fashion to the Blues, but in the opposite way. I still believe they have one of the stronger on-paper rosters, and they perform well enough, but they haven't been winning or doing as well statistically as expected. They still boast a dominant passing attack, and now that they have a shiny new active running back they probably have the best on-paper offense in the league. Don't be surprised if they turn it around.

6. TIJ The Tijuana Luchadores (4-4) ?-6

HOT TAKE ALERT. The Luchadores have been under performing all season compared to their on-paper roster in a similar fashion to the SeaWolves, except the Luchadores just got hit by the call-up bug. Their number one defensive player Big Bot (who was unanimously regarded as the most dominant player in the entire DSFL) and their best offense weapon Connor Tanner just got called up to the NSFL. They almost beat the Marshals on the road, but then got embarrassed by the previous 6th ranked team.

Me dropping them all the way from 1 to 6 may be an overreaction, but I gotta put in a hot take somewhere. They struggled even with their two most dominant players, so now they don't have a whole lot going for them roster-wise other than their TE Rich Gucci.

(899 words)

GRADED

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - 124715 - 09-30-2017

Quote:[table border=\\\'0\\\' align=\\\'center\\\' width=\\\'95%\\\' cellpadding=\\\'3\\\' cellspacing=\\\'1\\\' id=\\\'QUOTE-WRAP\\\'][tr][td]QUOTE [/td][/tr][tr][td id=\\\'QUOTE\\\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][b]1. KCC The Kansas City Coyotes (4-4) [color=green]Δ date=]I'm going to preface this by saying that that I think ranks 1-3 are pretty even right now, and the Coyotes being number 1 doesn't mean they're obviously the best in the league.

But... they are... right? Best point differential in the league.

Quote:But they've recently beaten the two teams I have at #2 and #3 so I think they deserve this spot.

They also have the best point differential in the league.

Quote:The Coyotes are an interesting team, allowing the fewest amount of points in the league and having the best passing attack in the league, but they're not really stellar in any other area.

Did I mention that we have the best point differential in the league?

Quote:They had back to back road games, and came away with a loss to the resurgent Pythons and a victory over the Blues. Their biggest opportunity for improvement is likely their 3rd down conversions, where the last two weeks they only converted three 3rd downs out of 28.

Those pesky 3rd downs didn't stop us from getting the best point differential in the league.

Quote:the Luchadores just got hit by the call-up bug.

Always imitated, never duplicated Tongue

Great article, loved the read! Thanks!

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - bovovovo - 09-30-2017

(09-30-2017, 03:27 PM)124715 Wrote:Did I mention that we have the best point differential in the league?

lol you have the Pythons beat by 1 point difference Tongue

I appreciate the feedback though!

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - loco - 10-04-2017

(09-30-2017, 08:03 AM)bovovovo Wrote:6. TIJ The Tijuana Luchadores (4-4) ?-6

HOT TAKE ALERT. The Luchadores have been under performing all season compared to their on-paper roster in a similar fashion to the SeaWolves, except the Luchadores just got hit by the call-up bug. Their number one defensive player Big Bot (who was unanimously regarded as the most dominant player in the entire DSFL) and their best offense weapon Connor Tanner just got called up to the NSFL. They almost beat the Marshals on the road, but then got embarrassed by the previous 6th ranked team.

Me dropping them all the way from 1 to 6 may be an overreaction, but I gotta put in a hot take somewhere. They struggled even with their two most dominant players, so now they don't have a whole lot going for them roster-wise other than their TE Rich Gucci.

(899 words)
its okay ths ranking is as irrelevant to me as the dsfl is to the head office