International Simulation Football League
*Lim's DSFL big board - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Lim's DSFL big board (/showthread.php?tid=50103)

*Lim's DSFL big board - yonggarius - 03-12-2024

It's offseason, where almost all non- war room members of the league are bored to tears due to nonexistent activity of any sort. And what better way is there than to alleviate that boredom through writing yet another media article? After writing a preliminary team breakdown/ projected needs article and a self scouting report, this time I'm going to write a full class breakdown of ISFL's newest class, the S48 draft class. I waited until this moment to write this particular article because I felt that the rush of post- ultimus recreates, of which there were a lot of this season, has finally died down a bit after a few days. And this, in my opinion, means that the upcoming draft docket is more or less solidified. So in this article I will be breaking down all players in S48 draft class into their respective positions, and try to rank them in groups according to their TPE level, discord/ forum activity and other values. As a tool of determining TPE level I will be taking data directly from each players' update pages instead of using TPE tracker, as the updaters are getting a break this week and therefore TPE tracker only shows TPE data which is almost 2 weeks old. Now, without any furthur ado, let's get to the article

Overall class breakdown

At this moment, the S48 class has 47 players in it. (the TPE tracker shows 48 entries, but that's because southie's player - Johnny Bird - is listed twice because of some weird reason). And when I checked at a glance with the TPE tracker, all bar one or two of them seemed to be active. So as there are 8 total DSFL teams, the draft should have 5 full rounds and then some pending any new creates before the start of DSFL pre- draft. This means all teams bar the team with the last pick (which will be the winner of last season's ultimini, Dallas Birddogs) will have 6 players while Dallas will have 5. But considering that this is still early in the draft process, I'd say that the realistic projection is teams getting active players until mid or late fifth round, and then the draft falling off to drafting inactives. I'm making this guess based on the statistics I have in my head from my DSFL HO days, where we had small, non- r/NFL recruiting classes have about 80~90% activity rate coming into DSFL draft. So the number of inactives might change with this class, as everything doesn't go according to statistics, and the statistic itself might have changed, too. 

Now if we look at the 47 members of the S48 class, they can be divided into position groups like below. 

Quarterback - 2
Running back - 8
Wide receiver - 8
Tight end - 3
Offensive line - 3
Defensive tackle - 3
Defensive end - 0 (yes, zero)
Linebacker - 8
Cornerback - 4
Safety - 6
Kicker/ punter - 1

As you can see, we have players create in every position bar defensive end. The most likely reason for defensive end position not receiving any attention is the reduced stats of players playing such position in the current meta of the sim, which is predominantly 3-4 defense. Apart from that, notable things here are the large number of players at running back, wide receiver and linebacker. All three positions are seen as 'favorable' positions nowadays, as they tend to generate a lot of stats. But while they are all viewed favorably by new or recreating users, the positional value of those positions might vary a fair bit. I'm going to talk about this variation in positional value in my respective breakdowns of position groups. So let's start position- by- position breakdown, starting with quarterbacks. 

Quarterback

The board
Greg Hirsch (50TPE) - Fordhammer
Jamarcus Qiller (50TPE) - YoungBuck

Quarterback position is probably the most unique position in ISFL. Because of the fact that offenses literally can't survive without a good quarterback, ISFL teams tend to be extremely conservative about picking their quarterbacks. So quarterbacks who go on to be signal callers in the big league are mostly made by recreate users, most of whom have connections with the team that drafted them. As a matter of fact, it is not uncommon to have a team's war room member make a quarterback when a team's quarterback is nearing or in regression, with plans to make the member's player the team's quarterback of the future (or some teams just convert the player of their war room member to a quarterback, like poor infinite's case). Needless to say, you absolutely have to be a max earner of highest degree if you even want a quarterback spot in the ISFL. In a nutshell, first gen users very rarely get to play quarterback in the ISFL (bar a few exceptional cases like negs), as most are asked to change positions before they make their ISFL debut. However, the story is a little bit different in the DSFL. Every player there has a TPE cap of 250TPE, so a quarterback with 250TPE will be the same with one who has 500. Because of this, a lot more first gen users end up playing quarterback in the DSFL. However, the DSFL also has its limiting factor for quarterback hopefuls, which is roster spot avialability. While there are 14 ISFL teams, there are only 8 teams in the DSFL. And those teams only carry one quarterback in their roster bar a few exceptional scenarios. On top of that, quarterback is the position with longest average DSFL senddown time before ISFL debut. This means that almost all quarterbacks (so basically unless their ISFL team is tanking heavily), most quarterbacks tend to be stashed down in the DSFL for almost the max amount of time before they are called up. This is done in order to have quarterback changeover with minimal affects to the team's performance, and to allow the new quarterback time to rack up some much needed TPEs. (low TPE quarterbacks in ISFL games often end up with gruesome results, such as the case of S21 Chicago with 50TPE quarterback on the helm). Because of this, the DSFL is basically clogged with older quarterbacks getting ready to go up to the big league. As such, there's only one or two open spots in the entire DSFL. 

This season, there's only one empty spot, at Minnesota. This spot was created due to the Grey Ducks' long time quarterback Tuna TurnDaBallOva moving on to the ISFL. And for this one spot, two players -Greg Hirsch and Jamarcus Quiller - will be competing against each other. Among those two, my bet is on Hirsh easily winning the upper hand.  You might be asking "how do you know this?" as both those players are currently sitting at 50TPE, as they are both only a day or so old. The difference is in the user side of things. The user behind Hirsch, Fordhammer, is a long- time user and a former GM of Philadelphia Liberty. He has had 3 successful players in the ISFL, 2 of whom had enjoyed very long careers braving regression. So GMs know that he is a user capable of sustaining a max earning career, which is mandated as an ISFL quarterback. In Hirsch, the DSFL GMs and war room members will know that they'll be getting an ISFL caliber player who will stay with them for a long time, and that't literally what DSFL GMs are looking for in their quarterback. On the other hand, Quiller's user, YoungBuck, has a bit of an unfortunate history with his previous players. This player is his sixth player in the league, and none of them has made the DSFL cap of 250TPE. And while that't would've been fine at any other position since there's always a chance that the user will turn things around with their current player, but things are different at quarterback. DSFL teams will most likely have serious doubts at Quiller making it to the DSFL cap during his career. As max earning, ISFL caliber quarterbacks mostly achieve 250TPE by the end of their DSFL rookie season (most max earners earn close to 230~40 during their first regular season, and achieve the cap during the offseason), there's even less reason for them to draft Quiller and let him be the most essential part of their offense for the next 4 seasons or so. While I'm sure YoungBuck is a great user to be with, in this case I think he will be asked to switch positons. 

Regarding draft positions, I don't see either quarterbacks going in early rounds- i.e. round 1 or 2. As I said before, only Minnesota has a need for a quarterback, and it's most likely that they will try to address other needs they have before addressing quarterback position. This stems from the fact that it is highly unlikely that other teams would be picking the quarterback Minnesota will be targeting - Hirsch - before Minnesota does as having 2 active quarterbacks at the roster isn't exactly good for a team's performance from what I know, and more importantly those teams have far more greater needs in other positions than in quarterback. So I see Hirsch going to Minnesota in third round or so. For Quiller, his draft position is an enigma at this point. If he stays active and agrees to switch position, he might get drafted in late second to fourth round range. However, if he either goes inactive or refuses to switch position, I see his draft stock dropping even further. 

Running backs

The board
Zigzag Zipstep (146TPE) - Twenty6
Animal Blundetto (131TPE) - Jimi64
Draven Chanos (104TPE) - .Laser
American Dream (88TPE) - KC15
Dazen Guile (83TPE) - Punk42AE
Nathan Claflin Jr. (64TPE) - Greenbaynathan
Jag McQueen (55TPE) - SPatt59
Reuben Mobbs (50TPE) - rebns

*From here on, I'll be showing rookie players in italics

Running back, as a whole, is a very crowded position group. Not only this particular group in S48 class is very large with 8 total players, the league has constantly saw a large number of players at this position. As such, it's not very hard to obtain a running back, especially in the DSFL where the threshold of effective player is significantly lower than ISFL. And as teams tend to employ 2 running backs in their backfield, the supply almost always outweighs the demand in DSFL running back market. As such, running back is not a position where I think the first overall pick will be. As a matter of fact, I feel like there might be a good chance of none of those 8 running back being selected in the first round of the draft. At this point, almost all DSFL teams have 2 high TPE running backs, and that means that they will have a solid RB1 even if one of their running backs was called up to the ISFL. And as teams tend to not have a lot of trouble maintaining a good running game with only one running back, it's most likely that the position won't be the first priority for any team. In a typical draft class, there tends to be one or two user- whether it be a recreate or a new user- who overcome the positional disadvantage with user side talent such as activity. A lot of players in this running back class are prime candidates of this, as a lot of them are high caliber users, who have created max earning players before in their ISFL career. However, this draft class seems to be absurdly deep in high name recreates for some weird reason, and there are a lot of players made by other renowned users in other, more valuable positions. So all in all I think it's going to be a little hard for this class' running backs to make it into the first round.

When we look into the position group, we can devide the 8 players into 3 rough groups. The first of those three is the "max earning recreates" group, which include Zigstep, Blundetto and Chanos. Those three - players made by users Twenty6, Jimi64 and .Laser - are earning at max pace, and are backed by great users. And at this point you might ask. "hang on, Laser's player is 30TPE behind others. How can he be max earning?" While Chanos being behind in TPE is true, we have to consider that Laser has created his player only after ultimus, whereas the other two players have been there since trade deadline. That difference is what made the 30TPE gap, and Chanos is indeed earning as fast as he can. He will get to 250TPE just as fast as the other two, and he'll catch up in TPE level in no time. So those three players are at the top of the running back hierchy in this class, and will be the first three running backs to go off the board on draft day. My guess on their draft position will be very late first round to second round. 

The next group is another 3 players, who are in "recreates who are a step behind" group. Those three players are Dream, Guile and Clafin Jr. While all three players have been created at trade deadline, they have been a little quiet lately after their users earned some TPE in the star. I don't think that trend will continue for a long time as all three users - KC15, Punk42AE and Greenbaynathan - all have history of successful ISFL players in the past. And plus, all three of them has been around a few days or so ago, so they'll be back to earning in no time. But unless they do it quickly, they will hear their names called during the third or the fourth round due to the large number of renowned recreates in this draft class. 

The third and final group is "inactive rookies" group, which has two players who are - you guessed it - made by first gen users. McQueen and Mobbs sit at 55 and 50TPE respectively, and while Mobbs' user's only activity was to create his player, McQueen's user did some tasks in the forum. As it's still early into the offseason, they still have a good chance of turning the tides if they return and start earninig in a good pace. Otherwise, their names would be found at the bottom of the draft in rounds 5 and 6. 

Wide receivers
The board
Seer Ial (138TPE) - omg
Derrick Prince Jr. (104TPE) - AnUnoriginalGuy
Warren Peace (75TPE) -  zaynzk
Moses DeWitt (74TPE) - sneakyalien
Lawrence Crawford (57TPE) -SwankyPants31
Old Man Walker (50TPE) - deadlunatic
Conner Ray (50TPE) - ConnerRay
Pranks Scofield (50TPE) - jesmichan

Wide receiver has always been a popular position since the start of the league. The position generates a lot of stats, and has a low entry barrier due to a lot of wide receivers being needed in offenses. And a lot of rookies going through that same thought process tend to make a wide receiver as their first player in this league. And being motivated by the good stats their players make in the DSFL, a lot of those first gen players tend to max earn and stay around, eventually becoming league veterans. Hell, that's what I did when I first joined the league about four real life years ago. Anyways, this bit explains why there are always a lot of wide receivers and why we see a lot of rookie WRs earning in a good pace. However, this doesn't mean that wide receivers are a highly valued position from a GM's perspective. It's quite the opposite, actually. While it's a little bit better than the running backs since there are usually 3 spots for wide receivers per team - a spot most teams have a hard time filling with active players in DSFL level, I have to say - most teams usually have at least 2 wide receivers who are near or at the cap, due to the sheer number of players creating at wide receiver position. As such, The position is seldom a position for need for teams, and the receivers tend to slide due to the fact that there are just a lot of max earning wide receivers. But as always, those disadvantages can be turned around by the user side of things, as tells numerous wide receivers who have been drafted in the first round. 

I said earlier that wide receiver classes are always big, usually with a rookie who is earning well. And that statement is proven true for this season's wide receiver class. The class has a lot of members at 8 players total, and the top player and the only max earner so far is none other than a rookie, Seer Ial. At 139TPE, Ial is near the top of the class TPE wise, and the user behind him, omg, is very active in both discord and forums. I expect him to go off the board during mid to late first round or early second round, depending on positional needs of teams and how much teams would indulge on high name recreates. 

Next up is the top recreate player of this class, Derrick Prince Jr. While his TPE levels might say that he is not exactly max earning, the actual facts do not. While Prince might sit 30TPE behind the TPE leader of this WR class, this is mostly because his user, AnUnoriginalGuy has only been claiming weekly trainings and activity checks apart from a tier 6 equipment purchase. My guess to this is that he's planning to do the other claims in a later date as they do not have a claim deadline like activity checks and weekly trainings. So I'm going to classify him as a max earner, and give him a late first round to second round grade. 

Next is a group of three players, which consists "recreates chilling" group. The members of this group are Peace, Crawford and Walker. The common thing between those three players are that they are all created by very highly renowned users - zaynzk, SwankyPants31 and Deadlunatic - and have been a bit quiet ever since they made the players. They have not been IA for a very long time, mind you, but a gap is still a gap. I think the most important thing here will be to see how quickly they come back to activity and max earning - as all three users are more than capable of doing that for a whole ISFL career - and that will most likely be the deciding factor for their draft position. But at this moment, I find it hard to give an approximate draft projection to those recreates who are in such an in- between situation. 

As the second rookie player to be mentioned from the wide receiver class, Moses DeWitt currently sits at 74TPE. And while that is not exactly a max earner number, his player page shows that DeWitt's user, sneakyalien, is really doing everything he can. At the moment he has completed the first of his rookie task, and have been seen on the forum earlier today. So this player is most definitly active, and I think he will continue to earn at a decent pace with money being the biggest limiting factor. I see him being drafted in late third or fourth round if this trend continues. 

At the bottom of the wide receiver class sits two inactive rookies, Conner Ray and Pranks Scofield. It seems like the only thing both of them did in this league was to create their players. And while there is hope for them to come around and start earning, I don't think the chances are very high speaking from experience. So unless they come back, those two inactives rookies will be drafted at the bottom of the DSFL draft. 

Tight ends
The board
Cleetus Beauregard (118TPE) - NylarthePhoenix
Kurt Wagner (73TPE) - Argonisi
Lip Nixon (50TPE) - Lip1999

The tight end position, which received a fair amount of love in the old meta, has fallen into obscurity lately. A lot of people nowadays don't see the merit of tight end in this sim meta, which can be summarized as an unhappy median of wide receiver and offensive line. And the position is not much of an essential for a GM, either. Apart from a fact that active tight end users are scarce, I heard that wide receivers playing at tight end spot actually yield better results sometimes. So my guess is that GMs won't be very urgent in filling their empty tight end spot even if they have one. 

At the top of this season's 3 player strong tight end class sits recreate Cleetus Beauregard. At 118TPE, Beauregard can be classified as a max earner. This fact, combined with the fact that Bearegard's user, NylarthePhoenix, has history of players with long ISFL careers, will make teams to expect that they will be getting a player who will quickly get to the cap in Beauregard. And I think that is an expectation the player will easily meet. My grade for Beauregard is early to mid second round. 

Next up is Kurt Wagner, who at this moment has 73TPE. While he is not the best earner, Wagner's user, Argonisi, has been earning at a steady pace ever since he joined, although money seems to be a limiting factor here. But his activity up to this point makes me think that he'll be a mid earner who will most certainly get to the DSFL cap someday, just probably not in the first season like the max earners. If he keeps up this pace, I can see Wagner going off the board in the third round, and having a solid career. 

Last up is rookie Lip Nixon, who unfortunately seems to be inactive ever since he made his player. So unlelss he comes back and starts earning, he's going to join the rest of inactive rookies at the end of the DSFL draft. 

Offensive line
The board
Gusztáv Farkas (139TPE) - Raven
Big Tractor (105TPE) - Nectorist
Stone Wall (93TPE) - bfry
Acutiramus Bohemius (50TPE) - Gadget

At the DSFL level, offensive line can be described with two words in my opinion. They are "luxury position". Offensive linemen are crucial in ISFL, as they are just way better than bot offensive linemen by design and they save cap. And while the first bit is also true in DSFL, the second part is rendered moot due to the fact there is no such thing as cap in the DSFL. So while human linemen are good, a lot of teams view the offensive line position to be a secondary need when they intend to fill when they have no other significant holes in their roster. However, that also means that there's no team that doesn't need an offensive lineman. So if there's a great user in the position, a team might snag that user in the first round even if they have other positional needs. 

At the top of this season's offensive line class sits Gusztáv Farkas. At 139TPE, Farkas is most definitely a max earner, and my guess is that he'll be one for his entire career. This is because the user behind Farkas is Raven, the bank head of this league and long- time renowned user. Raven is one of the best users available this draft, despite the formidable recreate class. Any GM will know that they will get a max earning player and a User who is very active on discord if they draft Raven's player. For this reason I'm going to give Farkas a first round grade. And if teams are hesitant to draft him in the first round because of his position, I'm sure he will be gone in early first round by teams who filled their most urgent needs in the first round. 

Next on the line is two rookies, Big Tractor and Stone Wall. While both users are earning at a good pace, Tractor has the upper hand here. His user, Nectorist, has already purchased an equipment, and done a lot of tasks such as wiki. Wall's user, brfy, is chasing him closely with him finishing rookie tasks and doing wiki. As they are new users who are near- max earners bar stuff that costs a lot of money (something that can be alleviated with time), I think they'll both go off the board in early to mid second round. 

The last player in this offensive line class is Acutiramus Bohemius. And while he seems like a typical 50TPE IA at first glance, he really is not. The user behind this player is Gadget, rookie mentor and overall great user. The lack of TPE is because Bohemius is a new player, which Gadget created late into post- ultimus creation window after retiring his S47 tight end Long Snapper. So I'm pretty sure he'll be back to earning like a max earner in no time, as I saw him in both the forum and the discord being very active. I give him late first to early second round grade provided that he return to max earning.

RE: Lim's DSFL big board - wetwilleh - 03-12-2024

Bar

RE: Lim's DSFL big board - Chicken Lips - 03-12-2024

Ah look, all my scouting has been done for me

RE: Lim's DSFL big board - deadlunatic - 03-14-2024

To be fair, I haven't missed anything yet, I just haven't claimed anything either.