International Simulation Football League
*Playoffs! We're talking about Playoffs? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Playoffs! We're talking about Playoffs? (/showthread.php?tid=5073)

*Playoffs! We're talking about Playoffs? - XxpurplepurpsxX - 10-06-2017

The playoffs! The time of year that fans get drunk out of their minds, players put it all out on the field, and the time where champions are crowned.Here we are in week ten of season three and it is time to start looking ahead to the playoffs. Just a few short weeks away, and things are still a little hazy looking forwards. So here I am to go though the possible outcomes of who makes the playoffs, what I think of the most likely matchups, overall thoughts on the teams, and some random observations throughout.

WEEK 11 (10/6)

YKW @ ARI
SJS @ BAL
OCO @ COL
PHI @ LVL

WEEK 12 (10/6)

BAL @ ARI
COL @ LVL
OCO @ PHI
SJS @ YKW

WEEK 13 (10/9)

BAL @ OCO
COL @ PHI
ARI @ SJS
LVL @ YKW

WEEK 14 (10/11)

SJS @ COL
ARI @ LVL
YKW @ OCO
BAL @ PHI

Some interesting initial speculations come to mind looking at this schedule right off the bat. The Hawks and Wraiths have some crucial games in the next few weeks against tough opposition. The Wraiths @ Outlaws is a big game for the Wraiths as well as Sabercats @ Wraiths. The Hawks play the same two opponents in the same two weeks on the road against the Outlaws and at home against the Cats. This will really show which of these teams deserve the #1 spot in the NSFC. This schedule is good to post now as well as I will probably reference it throughout the article.

First let's take a look at what we know for certain. The Arizona Outlaws will be in the playoffs and they will be the #1 seed in the ASFC. As everybody knows by now the undefeated Outlaws look near unbeatable and their undefeated 10-0 record means that even if they were to lose their final 4 games in the regular season they could potentially tie the Orange County Otters, but Arizona holds the 2-0 tiebreaker over the Otters meaning the # 1 seed is already locked. We also know that the Las Vegas Legion will not make the playoffs. While this comes as a surprise to nobody at this point the one and nine Legion are incapable of winning more than five games which is not enough to get past the Otters even if they were to fall to six and eight. So in the ASFC we have the top and the bottom spot locked up for certain. Taking a look at the NSFL the only thing we know for certain is that the Colorado Yeti are incapable of getting the top spot in the conference, other than that, everything is up in the air. Here is the Schedule for the next four weeks of the NSFLs third season:

Alright getting away from initial speculations let's look at what we know is already locked up let's look at some possibilities. First we will look at the ASFC as the possibilities there are quite limited given that two of the four spots are already spoken for. The only shuffling that could happen in the next four weeks would happen between the Otters and the Sabercats. As of right now the Otters sit at six wins four losses and the Sabercats are sitting on a record of four - five - and one. That one tie, and the fact that both teams have already played each other twice makes things really easy here. The Sabercats have to win at least two of their next four games to have a chance. Just taking a quick look at their next four games they have three road matchups with the Hawks, Wraiths, and Yetis, and a home game against the Outlaws. I would say that their chances of winning the game against the Yetis is probably pretty good. After that it might be tough to win even one of the other games against some of the better teams in the league. Winning just one of those games may be tough for the Cats and that is just the bare minimum that could get them in to the playoffs. If the Cats only win two more games they have to count on the Otters losing all four of their remaining games. Speaking of which let's look at the schedule to see their matchups for the next couple of weeks. They play the Yetis, Liberty, Hawks, and Wraiths. If the Otters win three games they are guaranteed to lock up the number two spot and with that schedule I think they could easily win three games. The Liberty and Yetis are very winnable games for the Otters and even just winning those two games means that the Sabercats would have to win all four of their games just to have a shot. So all in all the most likely scenario here is that the Otters finish in the #2 seed and the Sabercats miss out on the playoffs in the #3 spot.

Now let's jump over to the NSFC and try to get a sense for some possibilities there. This could get a little jumbled so stick with me here. We will start with the bottom team in the conference the Colorado Yeti. They have had a rough season so far with only two wins, but they are not officially out of the playoffs yet. The Yetis could win all four of their games and end up with a six and eight record. Since the Wraiths and the Liberty both hold the tie breaker over the Yetis they must win all four games and the Wraiths must lose all of their remaining games and the Liberty must lose 3 of their next four games. It is extremely unlikely yet still possible. The Liberty have a much easier path to the #2 seed than the Yetis all they have to do is win one more game than the Wraiths for the rest of the season. Their schedule is relatively easy as well as they get to play the two bottom teams in the league, the legion and Yetis. If the Liberty can win more games than the Wraiths and win at least one division game (for the tiebreaker), they will be guaranteed a playoff spot and if they are able to do that and win at least three games while the Hawks lose all four of their remaining games they can even secure the top overall spot. The Liberty control their own destiny here and I think they actually have a decent shot at making the playoffs. Now we move on to the Wraiths, as previously stated they must win more games than the Liberty to retain a playoff spot as long as the Yeti don't win all four of the rest of their games. On the other hand, all it would take for the Wraiths to supplant the Hawks as the number one seed would be to win more games than the liberty. They have to win at least three games and the Hawks would have to lose at least three of their remaining games. It is all up in the air between the Liberty and the Wraiths to decide their own destiny I could see either one of these teams in the #2 seed, but realistically I don't see either of them overtaking the #1 spot although it is certainly possible. Lastly the path to the playoffs is pretty simple and clear cut for Hawks. All the Hawks have to do is win at least two games to be guaranteed the number one spot in the NSFC. Their schedule is tough, but it is certainly doable their odds of making the playoffs are quite good probably a 90 present or more.

Well that did seem to get away from me a little bit, but overall the playoff picture in the NSFC is still quite blurry. So if I had to make the prediction right now I would say that the Hawks will remain the number one seed and the Liberty will snag the number two spot. Now I know this might ruffle some feathers, but I see the Liberty being able to beat the Yeti and Legion with little difficulty and then they have two home games against the Hawks and Otters. I can definitely see them winning one of those home games which would put them at a final record of 7-6-1. Meanwhile that would mean the Wraiths would have to win 3 of their 4 games to stay in the playoffs one of which is a road game against the Outlaws. They also have to play the Otters on the road, it is definitely a tougher task than that of the Liberty.

On the other hand, the ASFC is much less flexible and easier to predict. I think the Otters will remain in their number two spot, they already have a 1.5 game lead over the Sabercats and the Cats have some tough games ahead of them to even have a shot at the playoffs.

With all that said, let's talk about matchups. The Outlaws will most likely face the Otters in the playoffs. This is a long standing rivalry and although Arizona has gotten the better out of the Otters recently, the Otters always look to put up a fight against the Outlaws especially in the playoffs. If this is the matchup we see in the playoffs although Arizona would be the favorite to win I think the Otters want nothing more than to knock Arizona off their pedestal. While not my prediction it is still possible that the Sabercats overtake Orange County and they get their shot at the Outlaws. The Sabercats look like they need some work before they have a shot at competing with the Outlaws. This matchup might bring some interesting moments, but in all likelihood would be a blowout in favor of Arizona.

The NSFC definitely has more interesting scenarios regarding matchups. The Hawks will likely remain the #1 seed and face off against the #2 seeded Liberty or Wraiths. The Hawks v Liberty matchup is one that favors the Hawks, but could definitely be a close game if it were to happen. During the regular season the Hawks beat the Liberty in Baltimore, however they only won by three points. The teams are set to meet the final week of the season in Philadelphia. It will be a game that will show if the Liberty are ready for the playoffs and if they win that game they would have a good shot at making it. I think that it would be a great matchup and a back and forth game. On the other hand the Wraiths are sitting at the two seed right now ready to get their chance at facing the Hawks. The Wraiths and Hawks split with each other in the regular season with the home team winning each game. If the Hawks play the Wraiths in Baltimore I give them the edge. If the wraiths are able to take the number 1 spot and play the Hawks in their house, I would give them the advantage. While it is still possible we see a Wraiths versus Liberty matchup it is unlikely. In the event that it does happen, the Liberty were able to defeat them once in the regular season and barely lose the second game on the road so I would say the two teams would be even with a slight advantage to Yellowknife. Lastly and least likely there is the only slightly probable Hawks vs Yeti matchup. On paper now this seems like it would be an easy Hawks W, however if the Yeti win four in a row their momentum could be enough to carry them to a playoff victory as well. In the end I think it will be a rematch of last year with the Outlaws and Hawks making it to the Ultimus game. This time the Hawks will be looking to put up a fight if they make it.

With all that being said, the Playoffs are just around the corner. These next four weeks are do or die for multiple teams in the league, make sure you keep an eye on the standings to see which team makes their push to the playoffs. I'll see you all there!

Ready for grading

Code:
[2,045 words

GRADED