International Simulation Football League
*James Wilder Who is He? First Generation 2X media - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *James Wilder Who is He? First Generation 2X media (/showthread.php?tid=51896)

*James Wilder Who is He? First Generation 2X media - kdr - 07-03-2024

Well, I am so new to the ISFL, that I was trying to think what I could write my first media piece about that would be 1000 words for my 2X media First generation.  For those who read my Rookie task media post will have seen that I choose to name myself after my favorite player of all-time, James Wilder.  So, if you will allow it and read this article, I want to represent for who I think is one of the most forgotten and underappreciated running back of all time.  A lot are probably too young to even know who he is and those old enough might have missed his greatness with other more recognized RB of the 1980 like Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton, Freeman McNeil, etc. 

So let's start by going back all the way to his college career. This predates my introduction into watching sports as I just started watching really when he was drafted and it was much harder to follow college sports not of the really large schools.  James Wilder attended The University of Missouri from 1978-1980.  His finest game might have occured in his first season against highly ranked Nebraska (You can see the game here on [/url][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsq6se4DOVc]youtube.  He rushed for 181 yards and helped defeat the Cornhuskers.  He had a steady college career and except for injury problems in his junior year might have been and even higher college career.  There are other highlights and games from him on youtube if you want to look, including his last game in the 1980 Liberty Bowl against Purdue.

So, now James Wilder has finished his college career and he is a good prospect to head to the NFL.  He was selected with the 6th pick of the second, 36th overall, by the lowly Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Now here is my first (and maybe only fun fact) for James Wilder.  His NFL future is probably greatly impacted by something that happened 3 years earlier in the 1978 draft and involved possibly my second favorite player of all time.  In 1978 the terrible Bucs had the #1 pick overall in the NFL draft, and the consensus #1 pick at the time was one Earl "The Tyler Rose" Campbell.   However, instead of taking Campbell, TB traded that #1 pick away for:  TE Jimmie Giles and 4 Draft picks including the #17 of the 1978 draft.  Now Jimmie was a good TE for the Bucs and the #17 pick was Doug Williams who won with Washington, but the other 3 picks played next to nothing ni the NFL, so wow what a bad trade.  But how things could have been different for Wilder, Campbell and a young kdr if this trade has never happened.

But, let us get back on track for this piece which is the career of James Wilder.   So, as said Wilder was picked in the second round and becomes a Tampa Bay Buccaneer.  In 1980 the Bucs were a 5-10-1 team.  In 1981 the Bucs made the playoffs as a 9-7 team.  Now, I am not saying Wilder had much if anything to do with this turn around, but I like to think having good player helped in the turn around.  

Now, he did start his career as a FB and not the dual threat running back he would be for a few short years.  And his first three year were interrupted by a players strike in 1982.  His numbers were good, but not outstanding.  He was used more as a receiver those years than a runner, but in 1983 he broke 1000 yards from scrimmage for the first time in his career.  Which he would do for four straight years until the 1987 players strike again reduced a season playing time.  All-this changed the next year in 1984 and for me as well.

As, I said in my intro rookie media piece, I used to go to 2 or 3 New York Giants games with my Dad in the mid-80s. The date was September 23, 1984, and I remember it being a very nice day out for a early season football game and looking at the reports, it was 70 with a little breeze and that is perfect weather.  We got our 36 yard line tickets and went to the 4pm game of the Giants hosting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  The Giants were improving rapidly and were 2 years away from being Super Bowl Champs.  However, the Bucs were going nowhere for quite a number of years.  So, this was not expected to be a great game, which is why I was actually at it.  And I am glad I was because I saw what a year me thought was a great running back.  He ran for 121 yards and caught another 65 more and ran for 1 touch down.  The Bucs lost 22-17, but my fandom of James Wilder and the Buccaneers was born.  They don't have that year, but I am there again for the 1985 game (spoiler Wilder doesn't hav a great game).

Now as an a side, why else did I like the Bucs?  Well you know that stereotypical scene in movies of the 80s and 90s where a the sports crazy guy's girlfriend/wife would win a big bet on a sports game that was a huge upset and they would ask how did you do that. And the answer was will they had cuter colors or the better mascot.  Well for a 10 year old this was actually true.  I absolutely loved those creamcycle jerseys.  They were all that to me and that pirate with the sword in his mouth,  MONEY!  I was very disappointed when they went to the pewter pants look with the flag helmet.  But in my heart they are still the lowly, lovable, creamsicle Bucs of old.  And they did win 2 Super Bowls along the way so I am happy.

Now, back to Wilder.  The 1984 season is by far his best of his career.  He compiled the 18th best season for Yards From Scrimmage in history at 2,229 yard.  Broken out as 1554 rushing and 685 receiving with 13 TD all rushing.  At the time this would have been the 3rd best mark in the history of the NFL.  Of Course it was overshadowed a little in that it was the same season that Eric Dickerson broke the 2000 rushing mark for the second time in history and had the best yards from scrimmage at 2244 to that point.

Now, Wilder has a descent 1985 at 1600+ yards from scrimmage, but it was a two year highlight.  Looking back on his career, I probably remember it for more than it was.  One reason is that when I saw him play they were against poorer teams in the Giants and Jets.  I also know I loved yelling James Wilder is Running Wilder when I would play on the green with my friends.

But for that time to a youngster he was greatness itself and so...JamesIsRunning Wilder is in the league.

Code:
Forgot Word Count 1178

RE: James Wilder Who is He? First Generation 2X media - omg - 07-03-2024

I've never heard of James Wilder before, so this was a cool piece of history! I don't have quite as fond of memories for my first NFL game, but it was Chargers at Raiders and happened to be JaMarcus Russell's first career start (most of my family are Raiders fans but I was more excited to see LaDainian Tomlinson myself). We knew just how special he was going to be when the first pass he threw was intercepted by a defensive lineman.

RE: James Wilder Who is He? First Generation 2X media - tcookie - 07-04-2024

James Wilder Jr was a pretty good RB in the CFL for a few years. Really complete back and fun to watch. He was our Most Outstanding Rookie in 2017 and probably would've been an all-star a couple times, but unfortunately had trouble staying healthy and hasn't played since 2022.

RE: James Wilder Who is He? First Generation 2X media - kdr - 07-12-2024

(07-04-2024, 10:11 PM)tcookie Wrote: James Wilder Jr was a pretty good RB in the CFL for a few years. Really complete back and fun to watch. He was our Most Outstanding Rookie in 2017 and probably would've been an all-star a couple times, but unfortunately had trouble staying healthy and hasn't played since 2022.

It's funny I never knew he actually had a son that played until I started looking for images and most were for his son (and some actor).  But sounds like they were the same mold.