International Simulation Football League
*S50 Prospect - JC Tomlinson - First Gen - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: *S50 Prospect - JC Tomlinson - First Gen (/showthread.php?tid=51997)

*S50 Prospect - JC Tomlinson - First Gen - Knif3yMan87 - 07-05-2024

S50 Prospect - JC Tomlinson - First Gen

JC Tomlinson is a first generation player who recently join the ISFL. At Nearly 6'5" and over 300 pounds, the Temple University graduate is hoping to make a big splash on the D-line in the development league on route to the ISFL. Tomlinson recently arrived at the development training camp and has been assigned to the Baja Barracudas.  The prospect training camp games have been pretty  competitive and although Tomlinson has not been a standout in his first 2 games, there is plenty of potential for the D-line bruiser according to a few scouts and GMs we talked to.  Over 2 games so far in the Prospect Games, Tomlinson has accumulated 9 tackles and no sacks or TFLs. Much like in college, Tomlinson's game revolves around asborbing double and triple teams in the middle of the Offensive-Line so that his teammates and fly around and make plays. Never one to achieve personal accolades or recognition, this approach seems to be part of Tomlinson's game in the past and may not change much here in the ISFL. According to JC himself, he has no problem with that so long as his team is winning.

In 4 years at Temple University in Philadelphia, Tomlinson had a strong career in 5 years of play yet never achieved any MVP awards or DOPY awards. If you ask Tomlinson himself, he'd say that none of that bothers him as much as the constant losing of games did while at TU. However, he never thought about transferring or leaving his brothers on the team behind for greener pastures. After redshirting his freshman year for a medical condition, Tomlinson played 4 straight years and started every game for the Owls on the defensive side. Shifting around from both Defensive End positions, Defensive Tackle, Nose Tackle, and even some linebacker duties that included dropping back in coverage.  This kind of versatility and commitment is something that JC is hoping will be valued in the ISFL, especially for teams that need leaders on the field that quietly get the job done without the need of the spotlight. So far its not clear if these skills will be transferrable, and not having a lot of college tape or highlight plays in the propsect league may really hurt his draft stock. According to Tomlin however, "I don't care where I get drafted, who drafts me, none of that. Whoever drafts me knows what type of player they're getting. A lunch pail guy who whos up every day, does his job, doesn't complain, and doesn't get caught up with the theatrics and bullshit outside of the game." Not everyone appreciates that nose to the ground approach, however Tomlin is definitely banking on that style paying dividends with a coaching staff that values that kind of blue-collar football grinder style.

In the few weeks we've been here at the training prospect combine, we've sat in on a few meetings Tomlin has had with prospective ISFL/DSFL GMs. Most of the meetings seem to be going positively, with Tomlin selling himself on his physical gifts and willingness to do whatever it takes to help the team. Conversations about where he might play on the defensive side have been unpredictable at best, with a few teams even asking if the former Owl would be interested in swapping sides to the Offensive Line if needed. Surpsisingly, Tomlin answered those requests with an emphatic yes, regardless of the fact that he hasn't played a snap on the offensive line since his high school days.

One GM allowed us to share some Q&A snippets from their personal one on one draft meetings with Tomlinson, so long as we kept them anonymous to protect their draft plans:

Potential GM: "What kind of presence would you bring to the [TEAM] locker room?"
Tomlinson: “I was definitely the class clown of the locker room in college, but all business on the field. A motivator in the weight room and leader on the field. I’m always there for my teammates and I’ll play any position needed on the defense. I hope to lead by example first though, and do whatever I can to help my team win.”

Potential GM: "How do you think your player will help lead our team to not only make it to, but win, the Ultimini?"
Tomlinson: "Stop the run first, work as a complete defensive unit, everyone do their job. I love pass rushing but I’ve got the skills to stuff the run and drop in coverages as needed. I’m used to a complex defense with mixed blitz schemes and I’ve got the size and skill to rush the QB as well. Whatever my DC needs from me, and I hope to lead on the field and in the weight room.”

These kinds of answers really seem to excite the draft eligible teams, albeit Tomlinson is likely not a top draft class pick, he may be quietly sneaking up the draft charts as a bit of a mid-to-late round sleeper in the upcoming draft. Many of the potential drafting GMs consider Tomlinson to be a bit of a late bloomer, a guy who developed slowly and played at a G5 school in college without a lot of help in the supporting cast. Scouts say he would've been more likely to garner attention had he transferred to a bigger P5 school, however they appreciate his commitment to the team believe that loyalty could be something really values by GMs and coaches here at the ISFL.

With a few games left in the Prospect Bowl Series, there is still time left for players to make their mark on drafting GMs. One teammate Tomlinson really seemed to be getting along with in the Baja lockerroom is Thurman Waters, another DE standout who had a sack safety in the first prospect game and nearly turned the entire game around for the Barracudas. Tomlinson told reporters after the game that chemistry and teamwork on the D-Line is crucial, and it doesn't matter who's name pops up on the box scores so long as the team gets it done. "If Waters gets 10 sacks and I don't show up on the box score at all, that's fine, so long as we win the game everybody is happy and we all feast."

We're excited to see the last few prospect games this weekend and even more excited to get into the actual upcoming draft. We'll keep a close eye on things as they develop here, and its anyone's guess as to what position Tomlinson may finally end up playing. Defensive Tackle is seeming very likely, however there are still long bets on him to move to Offensive Line and we're really trying to keep a pulse on that. When asked about his preference, Tomlinson had this to say; "I will play whatever position to help the team that drafts me. If you pick me and need a defender, you can expect a Muhammad Wilkerson-like dog in the trenches. If you need an offensive lineman, I can flip over there and do my best Dion Dawkins impression. I'm a natural defender, however I think I do have the skills and focus to flip to the offensive side and flip some pancakes if that is what my coach needs from me. Whatever it takes."

1,225 Words

RE: S50 Prospect - JC Tomlinson - First Gen - Jimi64 - 07-05-2024

great job!