International Simulation Football League
(S50) Late Joiner Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Thread: (S50) Late Joiner Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=53267)

(S50) Late Joiner Offseason Task - wizard_literal - 09-12-2024

(S50) Late Joiner Offseason Task

VERY IMPORTANT: In order to get credit for this Point Task, you will make a reply in this thread. Once your items have been graded by a member of our team, they will edit your response and tell you how much TPE to claim. DO NOT CLAIM ANY TPE FOR THIS  POINT TASK BEFORE YOUR RESPONSE IS GRADED.

You don’t have to complete all the tasks at one time. You can do a couple, post a reply with those links, then come back another time to finish the items you didn’t get to before. If you do split it up in this way, make a new reply in this thread with the new items you’re completing (DO NOT edit your first reply to add new links)

Only the current rookie class S50 FIRST-GEN players (no recreates) who created after 9/9/2024 are allowed to complete the Late Joiner Offseason Task. In your response, make sure to include your player page to confirm when you created your player.

You have two weeks from the start of the season to complete the Late Joiner Offseason Point Task, so the deadline will be Sunday, September 21st, 2024 at 11:59PM EDT.

Quick Rules:
  • You can earn up to a maximum of 10 TPE through any combination of the available Tier 1-3 tasks. Follow the word count rules specified for each tier and keep your submissions on topic. It must not be super repetitive and absolutely no rambling is allowed. If you are caught plagiarizing/stealing someone else’s work, you will be punished as HO sees fit, including the potential loss of TPE or money. Do your own work please.
  • Articles, graphics, or podcasts that have already been used to get media/graphics money cannot be submitted again for Ultimus Week credit (sorry – no double dipping!).
  • Podcasts can only be submitted for Tier 1 and 2 written tasks. A podcast must include 20 minutes of discussion for Tier 1 and 10 minutes of discussion for Tier 2 about the selected topic. If you make a podcast with someone else, it must be 20/10 minutes apiece.
  • As with PTs, graphics must show at least some effort (i.e. edits must be apparent, should be more than just text slapped on an image). Make sure to add any images you used in your graphic so we are aware of what you did.

Tier 1: Long Form Tasks (Must be 600+ words)
Choose ONE for 10 TPE.

1. The Season 48 Ultimus and Ultimini have officially come to an end. Congratulations to the the Tijuana Luchadores and New Orleans Second Line for each winning their respective championships. How did each of the finalists in either the Ultimus or Ultimini arrive at the playoffs? Were there any teams that surprised or disappointed during the playoffs? Did the outcome of either championship game surprise you at all?

2. Tell us about your draft class. Is there anything that makes it special in comparison to other classes? Where did your fellow draftees land, how are they doing? Did anyone turn out to be an unexpected steal of that draft based on what you know today? Do you think anyone in your draft class will become a hall of famer? If you’re new to the league, how do you think your class will do? Where do you think people will get drafted to?

3. Let's talk about the future. As we've seen in the ISFL and DSFL, things can go from rock bottom to the absolute top in just one quick season and vice versa. With that said, tell us about your predictions for next season. Were there any big moves made late in the season or the offseason that you believe could really shake things up? Are there any players hitting the season with a noticeably improved TPE pool or hitting regression hard that you believe could seriously factor into a team's potential success? And lastly, which team do you expect to be hoisting the trophy for either the ISFL or DSFL, and which teams do you expect will be struggling to stay away from the bottom on the pack?

4. For any team, certain players and users have gone above and beyond, shaping the legacy of the franchise. Choose any ISFL or DSFL team and create a Mount Rushmore for that team. Who in your mind are the four most noteworthy figures of the team’s history? Why does each one of your included figures deserve that recognition, and how did each of them make their mark?

5. “Sim gonna sim” is a popular expression in the league. Write about teams that have been graced by the sim gods and had amazing performances despite statistical odds, and/or about teams that were considered favorites but may have dealt with some bad sim luck that hampered their efforts. How much of an impact did it have on their season(s)?

6. The league has a rich and fascinating history, and our perspectives on it differ from person to person. In 600 words or more, describe any significant moment in ISFL or DSFL history, whether you were around for it or not. Describe the context, the significant members, and the events. What exactly made this event so famous (or infamous) and why does it deserve to be remembered? Events might include championship wins, the inducting of players to the hall of fame, or even a league scandal.

7. Write 600 words or more on something about anything in the league that interests you. It could be related to statistics, a league issue that you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 600 words about your team’s participation on a Werewolf server or something.

Tier 2: Short Form Tasks (Each must be 300+ words)
Choose up to TWO for 5 TPE each.

8. This task is exclusive to non-recreate rookies of the S48 class and later. In 300 words or more, how has your experience been in the league? Who have you met that has made your time here more fun, friendly, and exciting? Have you been satisfied with your player’s early start? What was it like being drafted for the first time? Do you have any comments or suggestions for the entire league that you think should be implemented?

9. There have been many moments in league history where a single decision (e.g., a draft choice, a GM’s promotion or retirement, a trade, a player’s movement in free agency) may have changed the course of a team in the ISFL or DSFL. Describe a decision that was made and the impact that it had. Did you imagine said decision leading to a different conclusion or did you think things would turn out the way they did? Is there anything different you would have done to avoid disaster or make things even better?

10. Through a random lottery drawing, you have been named the league's new commissioner for a day. Congrats! What improvements would you make to the league if you had the power to do whatever you wanted?

11. Write a short biography or story about your player. This could include background about how they came to the ISFL and how they’ve done so far, a story about their role in an exciting game, or anything else related to their experience in the league.

12. Write about your team’s biggest rivalry and what makes it so fierce. Is the competition founded in statistics and the team’s recent performance, or is it a rivalry that developed over time during the team’s history that would exist regardless of statistics?

13. Choose a team or player to write about that isn’t your own. What did they do well in the last season? Have they shown any drastic improvements from previous years? What could they do better?

14. Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand / not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations.

15. If you could create a team using any active players in the league, what would that team look like? Would you build a group of all-stars to contend in the next Ultimus, or a team full of jokesters for the fun of it? Describe the roster and why you chose the players you did. (Written or Graphic Task)

16. Describe your player and/or team’s journey through this latest season. What were the highlights? What were the lower points? What might you have done differently? What are your expectations for next season?

Tier 3: Written/Graphics Tasks (Each must be either 150+ words or a graphic)
Choose up to FOUR for 2.5 TPE each.

17. Going to Disney World! Who was the Ultimus or Ultimini Game MVP? Give us a rundown of their celebratory trip to Disney World. (Written Task)

18. This task is exclusive to recreate/non-recreate rookies of the S49 class and later. The season is over and the draft is coming up. What do you bring to a team, and why should a team choose to take a chance on you next season? (Written Task)

19. Your team has announced that they will be laying ground on a new stadium next season. What additions would you like to see included in it. (Written Task)

20. Written Option: Which teammate of yours is the ultimate team player and why? How does this person exhibit selflessness and put the team first? Are they a great locker room presence who encourages others? Do they play an important but unappreciated role on the team which doesn't receive much recognition for awards? Graphic Option: Create a graphic of your player with your teammate who exhibits a team-friendly attitude.

21. Written Option: If your player had a show starring them, what would the plot be? Graphic Option: Create the cover art for your player’s show.

22. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. (Written or Graphic Task)

23. What are your thoughts on the sim engine? What sort of improvements would you make to the sim engine if given the opportunity? (Written Task)

24. You’re in charge of entertainment for the Ultimus or Ultimini half-time show. What would you do? (Written Task)

25. Create a billboard, magazine cover, unique trading card, or video game cover depicting a one of the league's stars. (Graphic Task)

26. if your player wasn't a professional in the ISFL/DSFL, what would they be doing instead? (Written Task or Graphic Task)

27. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why? (Written Task)

28. Football is a game that has been going on for a while, loved by fans all over. But what if you were able to make some rule changes? Talk us through your new version of football, and what would be different and why? (Written Task)

29. What team do you think has the best branding in the league? Why? (Written Task)

30. Choose one existing award. Tell us why you think a certain player should win that award this season. Stats, or anything else possible should be used to support your case. (Written or Graphic Task)

31. Make up an award for your player (or even someone else) to win for something not on the football field. (Written or Graphic Task)

32. Your player has decided to start a podcast since it's what all the cool celebrities are doing these days. What would the name of your player's podcast be and what would they talk about/do on the podcast? (Written Task)

33. When looking at the teams we have in the ISFL and DSFL, is there any team you believe is in need of a major rebrand or update to their current branding? Why or why not? (Written Task)

34. New players join our teams every season, so which of those new players made the biggest impact on the field for your team? (Written Option)

35. Create the front page of a newspaper celebrating the win or the Ultimus or Ultimini winner. (Graphic Option)

36. Affiliate PT from the SHL/SSL/PBE/VHL. The weeks of the task must match with the timeframe of this Offseason Task. You may only use a max of 1.

Please contact a member of the PPT team if you need clarification on any of the prompts or need help with anything listed here in general!

RE: (S50) Late Joiner Offseason Task - pboomg - 09-18-2024

7. Write 600 words or more on something about anything in the league that interests you. It could be related to statistics, a league issue that you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 600 words about your team’s participation on a Werewolf server or something.

I am brand new to this league, but the first thing I noticed upon joining is the massive number of stats I can look through in the wiki and index. Statistical anomalies are some of my favorite things to investigate and point out, and I'm thankful the stats recorded in this league are so in depth, allowing me to look at numbers for as long as I like. Here I will list some of my favorite stats and cases I found in my first look-throughs of the ISFL index and wiki, although I am disappointed I wasn't able to look longer due to the time of my joining. Most of what I write here will be traditional statistics, but I will also include some "easter eggs" throughout the wiki, such as Dermot Lavelle's 130 foot combine broad jump, despite only a 32-inch vertical.

Continuing on the topic of Dermot Lavelle, the hall of famer recorded one of the most impressive seasons of all time. Dermot Lavelle's 2024 (S9) may never be replicated again (not that I have not had time to look through the entire index, so take my admiration of these stats with a grain of salt) and put up elite numbers on all three sides of the ball. On the defensive side of the ball Lavelle recorded a then-record tying 8 interceptions and came second in pass deflections. On the other side of the ball, Lavelle put up above average receiving numbers in with about half the receptions of a typical starting receiver. Even on special teams Lavelle stood out, with 4 total return touchdowns and 1450 yards split among his 46 punt returns and 32 kick returns. Lavelle is considered one of the best cornerbacks of all time, with this 2024 (S9) season being perhaps the crown jewel of a hall of fame and record setting career.

Mike Boss, another historical great in the many seasons of the ISFL, is perhaps known best for threepeat of both MVPs and Ultimus Bowls while playing the founding years of the ISFL with the Orange County Otters, but did you know he set the record for most interceptions in the first ISFL game ever played? Week 1 of 2016 (S1) Mike Boss started his career looking to get a win over the Arizona Outlaws, and after carrying a 3-0 lead into the second quarter. In what can be considered one of the strangest games ever played at any level of the sport, Mike Boss threw for 312 yards, outgaining the entire Outlaws team by 130 yards, but it seemed Boss would not be able to overcome himself as he threw SIX interceptions on the day. A game in which the Outlaws' punter nearly matched Boss in yards, the Outlaws only having 4 first downs to the Otters' 20, of course resulting in a score of 27-12 for the Outlaws. This would clearly not define the rest of Mike's career as he went on to sling the football better than anyone else at the time, and maybe even since, as he still holds the record of eight touchdown passes in a game, only being matched one.

78. The number of attempts in Childish Gambino's 2028 (S13) 43-17 loss to the Second Line. 513 passing yards for two touchdowns in a blowout loss. Maybe it was the 86 yards of penalties, maybe it was the four turnovers, maybe it was the refusal to run the ball. Now I'm not exactly knowledgeable of the simulation system the ISFL runs on, but surely it can't be healthy to go for it on 4th down SEVEN TIMES in a single game. The other team outscored you with just their kicker, maybe turning the ball over in your own half isn't the best idea?

I really enjoy stats, and maybe I'll create my own Scorigami page and sort through every score in ISFL history, or maybe I'll make more media posts analyzing and anomalies I notice during my reading.

663 Words
https://forums.sim-football.com/member.php?action=profile&uid=4337

@pboomg 10 TPE earned! To claim your TPE link this post to your update thread.