International Simulation Football League
*An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE (/showthread.php?tid=5445)

Pages: 1 2

*An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE - SwagSloth - 10-21-2017

Greeting, fellow league members. And a special welcome to those of you who are new to the NSFL. This article was created with our newest members in mind and, if you are new, I hope that it will help you as you explore our forum and learn more about our league.

Last season, our team put together a TPE tracker to help rookies and less active team members easily locate ways to earn TPE for their characters and it was very well received by the Wraiths Locker Room. I’ve decided to expand upon that idea and make the result available to the whole league. While this will not be of great value to our long-term members, I hope it will be helpful to our rookies and possibly even be something that can be referenced when new members join. Naturally, the league is at its best when we have many active members and we want everyone to enjoy their experience. I found navigating the site to be a bit tough at times when I first joined up and have crafted this guide with those initial experiences in mind.

Activities will be ranked on user interest level and given ratings based on their Return on Investment back to the user…
* Casual tasks are low difficulty and require little to no experience with the league.
* Enthusiast tasks may require some knowledge of the league to maximize their impact and/or may require a small amount of writing. The majority of your TPE will come from these tasks.
* Hardcore tasks typically require a lot of work or require you to spend league cash earned from creating articles/graphics and/or assisting with league jobs. These tasks can sometimes take a lot of effort from the user to be able to complete, but will make a big difference in the long run.

Obviously, if your schedule allows, you should make it a point to take advantage of all TPE tasks that are available to you. However, as that’s not always possible, I have included these ratings and their corresponding notes to help prioritize tasks when time is limited.

ACTIVITY CHECKS

Activity Name: Activity Check
Frequency: Once per Week (Sunday to Saturday) (Every Week)
Guaranteed TPE: 2
Flexible TPE: 0
Description: A new activity thread is added every Sunday. Simply posting your name in this weekly thread awards 2 TPE that can be added to your player. The easiest weekly TPE task by far. Also, while most TPE need to be validated by league staff and require you to wait for a claim thread to be posted (located in Point Tasks), this TPE can be claimed immediately.

Category: Casual
Return on Investment: A
Notes: It doesn’t get easier than this. It’s essentially the same as saying “present” in class when you were in school.

RECRUITMENT

Activity Name: Reddit Upvote
Frequency: Once per Season
Guaranteed TPE: 1
Description: Help the NSFL spread awareness and reach new members! The S4 Recruitment announcement features links to several reddit threads. Simply upvote 3 or more links and post in the Recruitment thread to let the staff know that you helped. We encourage everyone to upvote as many links as possible. Only 1 TPE can be earned, but upvoting multiple links helps the league grow and reach more potential league members. Like activity checks, this TPE can be claimed immediately and does not need a claim thread.

Notes: Quick and simple. Outside of the Activity Checks, it’s the next easiest task.

TRAINING CAMPS

Activity Name: Season Training Camp
Guaranteed TPE: 0-10
Flexible TPE 0:
Description: Sort of like an activity check, but this can only be completed once and awards a lot more points. The first season awards 10 points and each consecutive season will award 1 less point. For example, your second season will award 9 points, your third season will award 8 points, etc. This is based on the player and not the user, so if you retire your player and recreate a new one, they will go back to 10. If you are a brand new player that has yet to be drafted by a DSFL or NSFL team, you will have to wait until your first full season to claim a Training Camp. (Partial seasons do not count against you. Your first full season will still award 10 points even if you played in the previous season.)

Notes: Once again, easy and simple. Not much explanation needed.

Activity Name: Rookie Training Camp
Guaranteed TPE: 10
Description: Just like the Season Training Camp, but this can only be claimed during your rookie year. Like the regular camp, you will need to be drafted by a team before this can be claimed. The Rookie Camp can only be claimed in your player’s first season after being drafted by a team. You can (and should) claim both the regular Training Camp and the Rookie Training Camp in your first official season for a combined +20 TPE boost.

Notes: See Training Camp

POINT TASKS

Activity Name: Weekly PT Point Task
Frequency: Once per Week (Sunday to Saturday) (5x each Season)
Guaranteed TPE: 3
Description:
Each week, a new topic will be posted. Create a graphic image or write a 200+ word response to the topic. These are generally fun and may sometimes require knowledge of the league, but offer a lot of room for creativity.

Category: Enthusiast
Return on Investment: B
Notes: This requires a bit more effort rather than simply posting your name, but can be a fun way to expand on your character and interact with your fellow league members. The week-long timeframe should allow everyone to complete this without a great deal of trouble, but I recommended completing it earlier in the week just to avoid the risk of forgetting about it.

Activity Name: Weekend PT (Point Task)
Frequency: Once per Week (Saturday to Sunday) (5-6x each Season)
Guaranteed TPE: 2
Description: Similar to the Weekly PT, but with a different topic.

Notes: The Weekend PT allows a shorter timeframe and awards less points, which is intentional, but it is still a solid investment. When combined with the Weekly PT, the two will grant +5 TPE, which is the same as a paid Weekly Training, which requires you to spend league cash while this only requires a small amount of effort in comparison.

Activity Name: Game Predictions (aka “Pick ‘Ems”)
Frequency: Regular Season Games (14x each Season)
Guaranteed TPE: 0
Flexible TPE: 2
Description:
Throughout the regular season, Game Prediction tasks will allow you to predict the winners of up to 4 NSFL games. Correctly guessing the right winner in advance will award 0.5 TPE, which does round up. For example, if you guess 3 of 4 games right, you will receive 1.5 TPE, which rounds up to 2 TPE. These are sometimes combined, in which case the totals from both series will be combined before the total is rounded up. Remember to participate in each prediction for a maximum possible 28 TPE!

Notes: Very low-effort task. While having a lot of knowledge about the teams will help make an informed decision, don’t be afraid to take a random guess if you are uncertain. There’s always a chance that you will guess right and earn the points anyway.

Activity Name: Mock Draft
Guaranteed TPE: 4
Flexible TPE: 8
Description: Prior to the NSFL rookie draft, predict the first-round picks. Each correct guess will award 1 TPE. You also receive 4 points just for participating. And, yes, you can participate even if you’re in the draft!

Notes: The 8 flexible points can be a difficult guess, but the 4 TPE just for participating makes this a big gain even if you don’t guess correctly. And, just like with Game Predictions, there’s always the chance of guessing right even if you don’t know a lot about the players involved.

Activity Name: Season Predictions
Flexible TPE: 12
Description: Prior to the start of the season, you will have the chance to predict the regular season rankings. Guess how each team will place in their division (ASFC or NSFC). Each guess will award 1 TPE. You also earn 1 point for correctly guessing the regular season champion (best record), ASFC champion, NSFC champion, and the Ultimus champion (the final game to determine our league champion). Points will be awarded at the end of the season.

Notes: This is a bit tougher as you’ll need to have some knowledge about the teams involved to get the most out of it and there is no guaranteed TPE just for participating, but the actual prediction post is a low-effort task. And, as with any prediction activity, there’s always the chance of guessing right. With 12 possible points available, it’s easily worth a shot in the dark at the very least.

Activity Name: Ultimus Week
Guaranteed TPE: 10
Description: Similar to the concept behind the Weekly PT and Weekend PT, the Ultimus Week tasks offer a variety of graphic and/or written topics that you can post about. Choose up to 5 different tasks and receive 2 TPE for each one completed. This task is available for the whole week of the Ultimus Championship, but some tasks can only be completed before or after certain games.

Category: Hardcore
Notes: While weekly PTs are usually care-free, the Ultimus tasks revolve around the play-off teams and the championship games. This will often require some research for each task, but offers the guaranteed TPE of any single task. Rack up that TPE and start next season off strong.

Activity Name: Player Milestones
Flexible TPE: 6
Description: Players receive TPE for reaching certain goals based on their player’s stats during the season. Typically, this will award up to 6 points (1 TPE for each milestone). Once the Milestones are made available, post a response in the thread indicating which milestones were met by your player. This can be claimed immediately, but is subject to verification by the updater.

Notes: While the post itself is easy, the milestones are a benchmark that will not be met by all players. Expect to earn more milestones as your player advances and gains more TPE over the course of several seasons. (Think of TPE from Milestones as the gift that keeps on giving.)

PLAYER TRANSACTIONS

Activity Name: Weekly Training
Frequency: Once per Week (Sunday to Saturday) (Every Week)
Guaranteed TPE: 3-5
Description: Each week, players can purchase training at the cost of league cash. Spending $500,000 will award +3 TPE while $1,000,000 will award +5 TPE. And your first training is free! To claim, go to your Player Transactions section of the Bank and select your team’s thread, where you will make your post. Wait for this Training to be “Processed” before claiming the TPE. (Your claim post will be edited by a league staffer to let you know.)

Return on Investment: C
Notes: The actual claim post is fairly easy, but earning cash can take a lot of effort. You will need to create graphics, write articles, or perform a league job. If you have the cash available, I recommend taking the +5 training. While it’s more expensive and requires more cash, it can only be claimed once per week and there are a lot of ways to earn cash if you’re willing to put the time in.

Activity Name: Equipment
Guaranteed TPE:
Flexible TPE:
Description: Each piece of equipment purchased adds TPE to a specific attribute associated with it. For example, the Cleats boost Speed and Agility while Shoulder Pads boost Strength and Tackling. Each equipment has two versions, budget and pro. The Budget variant costs $1,000,000 and adds +2 TPE to each attribute. The Pro variant costs $3,000,000 and adds +4 TPE to each attribute. You can purchase either one, but may not purchase both. Depending on your position, you may purchase multiple different equipment, but each may only be purchased once per season.

Notes: Equipment generally offers less TPE per dollar spent compared to Weekly Training, so you should prioritize the Training if cash is tight. However, it can be a great benefit to players that build up a lot of league cash. The budget variants are cheaper and offer more TPE per dollar, but if you enjoy the money-making tasks, the pro variants will a big help in the long run (just like choosing +5 Training over +3 Training in the Weekly Training.)

FANTASY FOOTBALL

Activity Name: NSFL Fantasy Football
Flexible TPE: 5
Description:
Just like with the NFL, you can play Fantasy Football with league players. You’ll draft different players from the league and, when they gain points, your Fantasy team gains points. Fantasy pools consist of 8 teams and only the top 3 teams will earn more money, but it’s free to participate. 1st place = 5 TPE. 2nd place = 3 TPE. 3rd place = 1 TPE.

Notes: Obviously, a solid understanding of the league’s players will give you a big advantage over less informed opponents, but just like with real Fantasy, there’s always a chance of someone getting lucky and winning it all.

OVERVIEW

TOTAL TPE AVAILABLE
Guaranteed TPE: 98-108* (+10 for Rookies)
Flexible TPE: 59
Equipment: 36*

TOTAL TPE by CATEGORY
Casual: 17-27* (+10 for Rookies)
Enthusiast: 85
Hardcore: 55
Equipment: 36**

Total TPE Possible: 203

* Training Camp declines by 1 point for each active season.
** Equipment is grouped on its own since it is applied to specific attributes, which may be already maxed out in future seasons.

2365 Words

Ready for Grading

Oops! Looks like the title cut off without any warning. If a mod wants to remove the "(Attention: Rooki" part or make "(Attention: Rookies)" the sub-title, I would appreciate it.

*An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE - PDXBaller - 10-21-2017

Well written sir! This should be in a primer for new rookies!

*An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE - run_CMC - 10-21-2017

Thanks so much for this! I joined yesterday and this makes it a lot clearer for me on how to gain TPE

*An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE - ItsJustBarry - 10-21-2017

I would also note that each person that participates in fantasy football draft earns $1,000,000. This is awesome post for all new player.

*An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE - 124715 - 10-21-2017

(10-21-2017, 02:00 PM)SwagSloth Wrote:Oops! Looks like the title cut off without any warning. If a mod wants to remove the "(Attention: Rooki" part or make "(Attention: Rookies)" the sub-title, I would appreciate it.

Is this better?

Also, great article! IMO, this is what the rookie guide needs to be like!

(10-21-2017, 12:50 PM)124715 Wrote:Is this better?

Also, great article! IMO, this is what the rookie guide needs to be like!

Perfect!

And thanks. I used the rookie guide a lot my first few weeks. Kind of patterned this as a follow-up.

(10-21-2017, 12:35 PM)ItsJustBarry Wrote:I would also note that each person that participates in fantasy football draft earns $1,000,000. This is awesome post for all new player.

Cool! I did not know that. I actually didn't do FF my first 2 seasons, so I'm iffy on some of the details. I think I'm gonna try it this season.

*An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE - timeconsumer - 10-21-2017

Great work

*An Advanced Guide to Gaining TPE - iamslm22 - 10-21-2017

This is incredible. Great job.