International Simulation Football League
*Marshal Law - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Marshal Law (/showthread.php?tid=5806)

*Marshal Law - iamslm22 - 11-01-2017

Hey all! Welcome to a new segment we're calling Marshal law (a segment awfully similar to the Baltimore Beat). In Marshal law we'll be posting interviews from players on the Marshals and other related facts. Today we have Season 5 rookie Ben Urlacher today with is. Urlacher was drafted 20th overall by the Marshals. Urlacher was an All American outside line backer in college at Eastern Illinois. This season in the DSFL Urlacher will be playing 4 - 3 defensive end. In the training camps so far the Marshals' coaching staff have been extraordinarily impressed with Urlacher's work ethic, versatility, and willing to play out of position at defensive end.

Urlacher was kind enough to sit down with us here to discuss what his expectations are for this season and much, much more.

Marshal Law - Welcome to our first issue of Marshal Law

Ben Urlacher - Thank you for having me.

ML - Many people (including your own GM @kckolbe) stated that they expected you to go in the top 10 of the draft. Were you surprised or disappointed to fall to 20 to the Marshals?

BU - I wasn't surprised that I didn't go as high as I may have wanted to. Prior to the draft I hasn't been very active, but that wasn't due to lack of interest or that I had forgotten about it. I was just very busy between the day I signed up and the day of the draft. I hope that I can show that in the 4th round the Marshals got a steal with me. I was also happy to join the Marshals as they were a team that showed interest in me prior to draft day.

ML - The Marshals had an extremely defensive heavy draft, how do you think that will play out this year?

BU - I loved all of the defensive players taken this year. I have always been a fan of teams with great defenses, so it is exciting to be joining a team where we are expected to be one of the best defensive teams. I just hope we can live up to the expectations, and have our defense help carry us into a successful playoff run.

ML - Speaking of the expectations and playoff run, do you have any bold predictions for this season? What are your expectations for the defending champs?

BU - As a bold prediction, I think that the championship game will look the same as last year where the Seawolves and Marshals battle it out again. There are no teams that I think we can just look over though, as they all have threats. Portland and Tijuana are both sure to have tough offenses. Chicago and Kansas City won't be easy outs either. As for the defending champs, I've always believed that they are the team to beat, no matter the expectations, until you have totally eliminated them from championship contention.

ML - How has it been in San Antonio so far? Are there any teammates you've gotten along with really well?

BU - I have loved it in San Antonio so far. The GMs are very engaging and helpful. I am able to send out a message any time and get a quick response. As for my teammates, I love how active we are so far. I feel like there is a lot of excitement within our organization for this upcoming season. I really can't wait to see what we can do.

ML - Let's look ahead now to the NSFL. Any team you particularly want to play for?

BU - I haven't looked ahead that far yet. I would like to play for a team that isn't the top runner every year before I join them. Playing for a team that is going through a rebuild is something that I have no problems with to start out my career. I think that it would just make winning a championship with that team so much better to know that I was an original piece of that organization from day one, so I would want those teams that aren't doing too great to know that I would be there for the long haul if I happened to get drafted by a team with a bad record.

ML - Very interesting. What role do you see yourself playing when you get to the NSFL? I know you played linebacker in college and will be playing some defensive end here in the DSFL.

BU - I think that given my physical attributes at the moment I have the ability to play either role given team need and formation. Linebacker is obviously my first choice, but winning is what I want the more than anything so I have no problem doing whatever it takes to get that.

ML - Let's wrap up with one final question here. What are your goals for this season? What would you consider a success?

BU - I definitely want to make the playoffs and contend for a championship. Leading the league as the best defensive unit is a big goal of mine as well, and I believe that we are definitely capable of doing that. As for personal goals, I'd like the be near the league lead for sacks and to cement myself as one of the top picks for the nsfl draft come S5. Anything less than a championship is a failure for this team because we definitely have to talent to make some noise this year. So what I consider a success this season is winning the championship.

So there you have it. Seems like Ben Urlacher expects a championship this season and I can't disagree with him. With Urlacher and Bastian Barnhardt on the defensive end positions, Darren Morris and Gregory Fletcher in the secondary and Luis Elmarez manning the middle of the defense many people are expecting the Marshals to be a dominant defensive team. The defending champs look like favorites to repeat, and as Urlacher told us, it seems like that is the expectations of players on the team as well.

Until next time, I'm Marshal Law.

1007 - first million to @Trey331x for the interview

*Marshal Law - kckolbe - 11-01-2017

We aren't one of the best defenses. We are the best. Norfolk and Tijuana appear to be fighting for number 2.

To NSFL gms, this is a great prospect. He stepped up big agreeing to play out of position as DE, and was willing to compromise on build without blindly throwing it away.

He's not the only guy doing great things, but I asked a ton from him and he is delivering.

*Marshal Law - iamslm22 - 11-01-2017

(11-01-2017, 10:54 AM)kckolbe Wrote:We aren't one of the best defenses.  We are the best.  Norfolk and Tijuana appear to be fighting for number 2.

To NSFL gms, this is a great prospect.  He stepped up big agreeing to play out of position as DE, and was willing to compromise on build without blindly throwing it away.

He's not the only guy doing great things, but I asked a ton from him and he is delivering.

100%. He's gonna be an NSFL star

*Marshal Law - sapp2013 - 11-01-2017

(11-01-2017, 09:54 AM)kckolbe Wrote:We aren't one of the best defenses.  We are the best.  Norfolk and Tijuana appear to be fighting for number 2.

woah now, dont sleep on the Coyotes Defense. just drafted 3 DBs and we already had Jackson Harris on the team. Not saying we will be the best, but watch out.

*Marshal Law - kckolbe - 11-01-2017

(11-01-2017, 09:10 AM)sapp2013 Wrote:woah now, dont sleep on the Coyotes Defense. just drafted 3 DBs and we already had Jackson Harris on the team. Not saying we will be the best, but watch out.

You have a great pass defense, arguably the best, but I'm just gonna run against ya all day and average 4+. Norfolk and Tijuana can threaten the air and ground game, which makes them harder to play.