International Simulation Football League
The Asterisk Game - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: ISFL Thunderdome (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+---- Thread: The Asterisk Game (/showthread.php?tid=5937)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

The Asterisk Game - Jiggly_333 - 11-08-2017

So first thing I'll admit is that this whole situation is definitely my fault. I, a very lazy GM, didn't do a thing I was supposed to do. While there were other circumstances surrounding me including anxiety issues and depression, I also had hired a Co-GM who apparently has decided to go back on promises that they'd help out when those things struck. Yes, I'm calling out Marlene Aurlane, aka @RedCydranth.

[Image: Emilia-Clarke-Glamour-where-are-you-now.gif]

But anyways, I (or someone from the Blues FO) was supposed to enter our send-downs into a spreadsheet, the existence of which I was unaware of. Well, I guess being the leader of an inactive army gets hard sometime. But it would've been nice to have gotten some help. So Red, consider this your pink slip. I don't hate you, but if I can't hand you the keys to the car, then you're no longer going to get the chance to have them. On a personal level and an Otters teammate level, I forgive you. But on a professional level, you're fired.

Moving on, the game against the Marshals happened. As usual, I try not to give a shit, but I like fucking around with the songs request machine. Lets me force others to listen to good music. Anyways, this is where I find out that Dusty Atters is on the field for the Blues. Why am I disturbed that I have a much better player out there than what I would've had? Because he wasn't even in my DC. I had been told previously in the week that he was completely suspended. This wasn't going to be an Ezekiel Elliot situation where he can play while he appeals. So my roster was actually ineligible because of the wrongly inputted DC based on the fact that I never updated a spreadsheet because neither me nor my Co were paying attention.

Anyways, the Marshals destroy the Blues twice because the game made an oopsie. This is where I tag @Key_gan in, but it's really not his fault. it just sort of happened. I put up a fuss about re-simming so I could use my send-downs, but they refuse. I emotionally accept this and move on. Except that the game fails to save so they have to re-sim the game anyways. Because @ErMurazor decided to be such a nice guy, he allowed me to switch out my suspended player for a player that should actually be on my roster. That means that the Blues now have an eligible roster, so it all work out anyways.

They sim the game again, but this time the Blues win by a single point. Holy shit! The luck of Chi-rish returns! Let's dye the river blue! (oh wait that's an actual thing that happened recently and is a real public health issue).

Instead of accepting the final sim, San Antonio Marshal GMs @kckolbe and @iamslm22 put up their own fuss about the outcome. But this argument was instead about how they won the first sims, so they should be given the official win.

[Image: hayley-atwell-gif-5.gif]

Now excuse me for suggesting the idea of permanence in life and living with consequences, but the final sim that would have been used for the save said that the Blues won. Not only that, but the Blues' roster didn't comply with league sanctions the first two games. And while you can argue that the new player helped, he was much less TPE than Dusty so I don't think that's much the case. The sim works in mysterious ways, but we should all live with the final outcome.

Or not.

The league decided to rule that gets the win because, "The game was resimmed because of a bug in the software and the result from the original sim should stand." (Er, Discord).

[Image: tumblr_oevpineTkc1qg0u4go1_r1_250.gif]
Let's unpack this idea of using prior sims to override the final sim...

Everyone knows that most NSFL and DSFL FOs have someone with the sim to use to test out different scenarios and figure out a gameplan. These are called "test sims". They are sims done before the league does a final sim. These test sims can sometimes say crazy things. In fact, the test sims were very much against the Blues last season, yet we still went 10-4. The final sim is the sim that counts. The sim that gets saved is the sim that counts. So while the Marshals may have shown that they had a better chance at beating the Blues, when the time came they didn't. They arrogantly thought that superior tactics could beat sheer dumb luck. And they rejected that idea.

I understand. I play Football Manager all the time and if I don't get the result I like out of a match, I force my team to replay it again and again. But that's just me achievement hunting and trying to force a regional club through the premier league season. This is something where we try to be more realistic than that. We make a sense of permanence with these games. When a game gets played for the final time and is saved, that's it. You can argue that if that's the case, then those two prior games should count. The problem with that sentence was the word "prior". The Blues win was the last game played. That is the last word.

So what I want? Well, I want a new Co-GM that's for certain, but I'm not opening up applications for it yet. I would love it if the head office honored the will of the football sim gods and gave the FINAL victory to the Blues. And if that can't happen, then I'll take a page out of the book of another Chicago football coach and demand that an asterisk is placed next to this game in the record books.

Oh!
[Image: haslip1.gif]
and one more thing.

When I say I don't give a shit about the DSFL, it means I give so much of a shit.

I don't care about winning. Winning and caring about winning in a developmental league is stupid. No offense to kolbe and slm, but the reason I'm fighting this is because they're so adamant on winning and seemed so arrogant about this game that I wanted to see the shock on their faces as the Blues won the last round.

I don't care about winning games or the championship. That's just bonus brownie points to put in my sig. I care about the people involved. Honestly, yeah I'm calling a couple of them out, but I care about the other DSFL GMs. They're good people and while they sometimes get passionate they're still good people overall. Then I care about my players. Sure, Dusty being suspended is kind of a part of my whole argument on the game, but I also care about his appeal and hope he wins it. Based on my own investigations, the person behind Dusty is definitely a different person than Noble. There are a few other discrepancies that might have to be worked through, but I care about making sure that my players have a good experience.

So that's all I want, to be able to give my players a solid experience and help them get involved in the site. I might not have done a good job at finding a bunch of active people, but know that I welcome anyone to the Blues.

And if I have to say "fuck someone", it would probably be a tie between me and the head office.
Seriously, the head office doesn't take the DSFL seriously. They have yet to actually announce this fucking ruling that they apparently made in minutes about two hours ago.
[Image: giphy.gif]

The Asterisk Game - loco - 11-08-2017

[Image: george-bush-gif.gif]

[Image: unknown.png]

jiggly can't even not care about winning right lmao

The Asterisk Game - iamslm22 - 11-08-2017

TL;DR of the OP: I'm a shitty GM and even though my team got SMOKED twice in a row, I'm gonna make a big post bitching about it.

Also as far as "caring about development and not winning" that is a disservice to your team. Ask ANY of the active rookies on the Marshals if they're happy with the work we put in. We care about winning AND we play all our rookies. It isn't fun or cute that you don't give a shit, it's a disservice to the entire league. I know most of us agree, either work harder or quit. Don't call me out because I care about winning and fight for my players.

As far as how Blues players feel about your leadership? I have no idea. But I would venture they would rather be on a team run by @kckolbe and I than you any day of the week.

The Asterisk Game - Jiggly_333 - 11-08-2017

(11-08-2017, 12:41 AM)loco Wrote:[Image: unknown.png]

jiggly can't even not care about winning right lmao
And you don't care about reading.
(11-08-2017, 12:33 AM)Jiggly_333 Wrote:I don't care about winning games or the championship. That's just bonus brownie points to put in my sig.
At least you stuck by your statement.

(11-07-2017, 10:43 PM)Jiggly_333 Wrote:And you don't care about reading.
of course i didn't read it i saw your shitty ass gifs and decided it was time to scroll down

(11-08-2017, 01:45 AM)loco Wrote:of course i didn't read it i saw your shitty ass gifs and decided it was time to scroll down

You're WAY better off for having not read it. This dude is a fucking clown.

The Asterisk Game - sapp2013 - 11-08-2017

My take on the game is that Chicago messed up. They should be at a disadvantage for this week because of that mess up. In DnD, disadvantage is where you have to roll the dice twice and take the lower of the two results, therefore, the game that we all saw (Marshals 39-14 ???) was roll 1 and Chicago 13-12 was roll 2. the lower of the two rolls is the first roll, so Marshals win.

for this instance, we really should not have needed to re-sim aside from the corrupt file since result 1 was already bad, but if it had been the other way around where Chicago won the first game and lost the 2nd, I think the second should have been taken. Yes, it is unfair to chicago, but it is also unfair to the marshals that you messed up your roster and then there was a corrupt file in which the marshals were on their way to win handily.

(11-08-2017, 01:54 AM)sapp2013 Wrote:My take on the game is that Chicago messed up. They should be at a disadvantage for this week because of that mess up. In DnD, disadvantage is where you have to roll the dice twice and take the lower of the two results, therefore, the game that we all saw (Marshals 39-14 ???) was roll 1 and Chicago 13-12 was roll 2. the lower of the two rolls is the first roll, so Marshals win.

for this instance, we really should not have needed to re-sim aside from the corrupt file since result 1 was already bad, but if it had been the other way around where Chicago won the first game and lost the 2nd, I think the second should have been taken. Yes, it is unfair to chicago, but it is also unfair to the marshals that you messed up your roster and then there was a corrupt file in which the marshals were on their way to win handily.

And for the record there were three rolls. We won the second sim by a TON, though it was cut off from being shown. The Chicago win was a third one.

The Asterisk Game - sapp2013 - 11-08-2017

(11-08-2017, 12:54 AM)sapp2013 Wrote:My take on the game is that Chicago messed up. They should be at a disadvantage for this week because of that mess up. In DnD, disadvantage is where you have to roll the dice twice and take the lower of the two results, therefore, the game that we all saw (Marshals 39-14 ???) was roll 1 and Chicago 13-12 was roll 2. the lower of the two rolls is the first roll, so Marshals win.

I went to take a shit and had another revelation. The #gibsongate scandal had a lot of people asking for re-sims. The HO did a whole bunch of practice sims and concluded that with Gibson at the correct tpe, the hawks would win about the same amount of games, if not more. Granted, they couldn't account for progression throughout the season and differing strategies, but again, they used the disadvantage technique. The original result showed 8 wins and the second results showed 8-10 wins. They took the lower of the the two. They had discussed that if it did show up as a worse result for the hawks, they would think about a full re sim, again, showing the disadvantage effect.

This is the best course of action and has been used many times before by the HO.