International Simulation Football League
*DSFL Positional Power Ratings (Offense) - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *DSFL Positional Power Ratings (Offense) (/showthread.php?tid=6032)

*DSFL Positional Power Ratings (Offense) - JohnWachter - 11-14-2017

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Quick Preface: I planned on writing this and having both offense and defense done before the games. I got my days mixed up and see the games are literally going as I write this, so I shortened it to just offense for now. I also condensed WRs and TEs into "Pass catchers" for this because I want to get it done faster since it's irrelevant after today. Next time WRs and TEs will be split. Pretend the week 5/6 games didn't happen, and I'll get the week 8 update in on time and in full.

I saw the games were on right before I started writing the Goose piece, so if you see the inspirtation die right there that's why, hopefully week 8 shows everything I wanted this article to be.

Code:
Word Count: 2330

Through 4 weeks of action, the DSFL is still wide open. The potential for a perfect season ended in week 3, when a (rightful) re-sim of the Por-Chi game changed a win for Portland into a blow out loss. Aside from the winless Luchadors, every team is at .500 or better, making the remainder of the season must-see (Twitch) TV. The defending champion San Antonio Marshalls still appear to be the team to beat. At 3-1 they have both the league's top scoring offense and the most stingy team defense. That said, a Kansas City win this week would make them top dogs in the division, and their #2 scoring offense is no slouch either. In the West, the Pythons are also 3-1, doing so with a -16 point differential (thanks in large part to the Chicago Blues). They get their shot at redemption at home this week, but a repeat loss would lose them the divisional crown. The 2-2 Seawolves round out the week, taking on the Luchadors. Both teams reside in the basement of their divisions currently, but a win for the Seawolves would potentially tie them for first, or move them to second at the very least. The Luchadors, on the other hand, are still looking for their first win. The season is far from over, and a win would be huge for them going forward.

But this list isn't about team performance thus far, it's about each individual's effort and what they've done for the team. Admittedly, a lot of the rankings will be based off of volume stats, but with only 4 games played I feel that's a fair assessment. I also, obviously, am a player for the Pythons, and will do everything to go out of my way of bias. Below is my list of top 5s from each position, with a short description highlighting why they're in their spot on the list.

Quarterback
1. Christian Adams KCC
The Kansas City Coyotes have one of the best, if not the absolute best, passing attacks in the league, and that's primarily due to the talent of Christian Adams. A send down from the NSFL, Adams has enjoyed early success thanks in part to having a huge TPE head start. A gunslinger with a great arm and above average intelligence, Adams leads the league in every stat but TDs, where he's only one behind Jameis Christ. Kansas City has 3 receivers in the top 5 for yardage, but it'll be interesting to see how they close out the season, as their signal caller has already peaked.

2. Jameis Christ POR
Remember what you just read about Christian Adams? Pretty much the same deal here. Christ was an NSFL send down, and due to that had one of the highest starting TPE values in the league. He leads the DSFL in touchdowns with 7, he's second in passing yards with 1059, and has the third ranked QBR with 74.7. The problem with Christ's game so far is his number of turnovers, he throws about 2 interceptions per game and leads the league in that category (Here's a hint: that isn't a good stat to lead.) It'll be interesting to see if he rises or falls on the list. Crush and Wachter will progress to help him out, but he himself is remaining stagnant while Wolverine Justice racks up the TPE to bridge the gap.

3. Wolverine Justice NOR
By the end of the year, I fully expect Justice to top this list. The only reason he isn't there now is that he's a re-create as opposed to a send down, so started with signficantly less TPE. Even with that disadvantage, Justice has impressive stats through the year. He's second in passer rating, ahead of Jameis Christ who had about 2x the TPE to start the year, and he's got the fewest turnovers in the league. Justice and his top target, Kenny Omega, are both active members and should mutually benefit from the progression from one another as the season goes on. This team could be very scary by playoff time.

4. Matt Strike CHI_Blues
After the top 3 there's a lot jam of not-so-great play. Srike is only connecting on half his passes, and has 4 TDs to 7 INTs. By all means, his stats don't scream top 5, but he's better than the other options left. Seriously, look it up. Later in the year, Strike should be either 5 or just missing the list, so long as Isaac Brown continues to progress, but for now his yardage gets him the #4 spot.

5. Vincent Draxel SA
San Antonio boasts arguably the best run game and defense in the league. They're first in their division, and tied for first in the league. They have almost everything going for them. Almost. What they lack is a competent pass game. Vincent Draxel is a send down with a little over 100 TPE who will soon be leapfrogged by Isaac Brown, who just missed out on the inaugritory list. With only 2 TDs through 4 games, and three times that many INTs, he only makes the list due to there being 6 total teams with just as many starting QBs. He has a better QBR and percentage than Strike, but less yards and only half the TDs. These guys can flip flop for sure, but the gap between the top 3 and the bottom 2 on this list is massive. With the emergence of Isaac Brown throughout the year, Strike and Draxel's spots could be in jeopardy.

Running Back
1. Sydney Spinelli TIJ
Sydney Spinelli is the truth. RB is a position that can be over looked in the league; due to problems with the offensive line throughout the forums and ongoing changes, yards are harder to come by than what you typically see on TV. Finding a franchise caliber RB is rare, yet here Spinelli is proving it can be done. Through 4 games, Sydney is averaging just under 100 ypg, an insane feat never seen before. At this rate, Spinelli will crush the single season record in the DSFL. Spinelli is second in rush yards with 391 and tied for first in TDs with 4. But what stands out to me the most, and what could be an under rated aspect to this player, is his least impressive stat: his longest run. 13 yards, that's it. No big run to inflate the numbers, no trickery on the stat sheet. Spinelli has been consistently impressive, and with big updates to both speed and agility, the numbers could be even more impressive very soon.

2. Conall O'Sullivan NOR
O'Sullivan has a legitimate claim for the #1 spot on this list. Conall leads the league in both rush yards (422) and TDs (4). O'Sullivan also has a slightly higher YPC than Spinelli and has claim to the longest run in DSFL history with a 56 yard sprint. He's also active, just like Spinelli, with a bright future ahead. So why #2? Well, it may seem stupid to penalize someone for a big play, but the long run of 56 yards effects the stats mightily. Without that run O'Sullivan moves to second in both yards and TDs, and it's not something I can imagine will be replicated. O'Sullivan is still fantastic, and this will be one of the most fun rivalries to watch throughout the year, but someone needed to be considered "Better" than the other, and my personal preference is to go Spinelli at this point in the season. Watch for O'Sullivan to make a bigger difference in the pass game as the year goes on as well

3. and 4. San Antonio's dynamic duo (Thomas Mango and Jack Stats) SA
This is an interesting pairing. Stats is a send down with under 80 TPE, Mango is a new create with only a little over the starting TPE who's been inactive. The Marshals were likely hoping/are still holding on to the hope that Mango will return to being active to take over the starting role. For now at least, that doesn't appear to be happening. But the Marshal's have adjusted well, forming a great one two punch with the combo of a power and speed back. Due in part to a good O'line, but mostly great scheming, Mango and Stats have put up great numbers. They've split carries completely evenly and are third and fourth in total rush yards. They're also first in second in YPC among backs with more than 11 carries and have combined for 6 TDs on the ground. Time will tell if their numbers hold up to this high standard.

5. John Goose POR
While the Goose isn't necessarily loose, he's doing good enough. He only has one TD, but is fifth in rush yards and has been solid at picking up crucial third down conversions. The Pythons are a pass heavy team, but Goose gets enough looks to keep the defense honest. He also sets up Ferrell for success when he rotates in, as he leads the league in YPC by an rb, though he only has 11 total carries. After the clear #1 and #2, the running game is wide open, with plenty of people who didn't make the list expected to make their debut on the week 8 update.

Pass Catchers
1. Blast Michaels KCC
Christian Adams has been so good he's made Blast Michaels the top WR in the league. Michaels leads the league in receptions, yards, and TDs despite being inactive since NSFL season one. It's hard to imagine this production keeping up, but right now Michaels is having the best year of his entire career. His spot at #1 on the list may not last very long, but you couldn't ask for a better start to a season.

2. John Wachter POR
Obvious bias here, but #2 HAS to be the right spot. Wachter is second in the league in receptions and yards, and has the third longest reception of the year despite only average speed. A mixture of great hands and strength make him hard to stop, and Wachter has a huge update coming for the next set of games. Picked second overall, the production was expected, and should only increase as the year goes on. Wachter is driven by setting records, and with the #2 QB in the league and a great partner in Carlito Crush, he's in a great position. Wachter should be number one on this list on the next update, as his TPE is much higher than that of Michaels. He's also active, where as Michaels is not. I also heard he has the biggest penis in the league, so take that for what it's worth.

3. Hunter Mason NOR
After a fantastic year in season 1, Mason continues to find success in the DSFL. He's third in the league in receiving yards with 322, despite only having 18 total catches (18 ypc). Mason has also found the end zone one time, and has benefitted from Kenny Omega being on the roster. With a developing QB on the team, Mason's production should rise, but with Omega looking legit and developing along with Justice, Omega could find himself as the #2 option in Norfolk, and may lose his place on the list. Look for Kenny Omega to rise in the rankings in the coming weeks, potentially making his debut in the next update. It'll be interestinf to see if Mason and Omega could find themselves both on the list at some point this year, or if a clear favorite emerges down the stretch.

4. Carlito Crush POR
TE is a difficult position in this league. It doesn't really get much love in the sim, and thus isn't really coveted as much as a WR. But with new caps put in place, Crush is looking to change the stigma about the position, and he's off to a great start. Among TEs, he's second in recepions (One behind the leader) and second in yardage (One behind the leader). He's also added a score and completely taken over stretches of games. He had a high TPE start compared to some of the receivers in the league, and showed he was worth the early draft pick. If I split receivers and TEs up (like my intial plan) he'd be #1, and he's only getting better. Look for Crush to take over this TE list in the next update.

5. Brandon Carter SA
The second TE on the list. Brandon Carter has done just about everything to earn the #1 spot over Crush thus far. He leads TEs in catches and yards, and remains active to this day. He's the top receiver on his team, and has made an immediate impact at a position that's not used to seeing it. So what puts him here instead of Crush's spot? Well, he only leads him by one catch and one yard, which means his average is a little lower. On top of that, he hasn't found the endzone yet, which makes Crush just a bit more valuable thuse far. The arrivals of Crush and Carter (And sometimes Booter since he's said he's a TE but appears to be a WR everywhere) should make for a very interesting compeition on the TE rankings list, which arrives after week 8. Both men have a claim for the top spot, and both should be extremely successful in both the DSFL and NSFL in the future.[/div]

GRADED

*DSFL Positional Power Ratings (Offense) - Roly - 11-15-2017

Great post! Think you hit the nail on the head for the offensive rankings, Hero and I came up with a similar QB ranking in that last podcast.

Awesome stuff! :cheers:

*DSFL Positional Power Ratings (Offense) - Squeeze - 11-15-2017

Good stuff maayne Big Grin

*DSFL Positional Power Ratings (Offense) - PoloPro - 11-15-2017

I know the Sim says WR but I play out of the TE position just so you can use my numbers against TE not WRs