International Simulation Football League
Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Forum: Archived Suggestions (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=349)
+----- Thread: Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms (/showthread.php?tid=6200)

Pages: 1 2

Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms - PDXBaller - 11-28-2017

Hey Guys,

I don't know if this has been explored before, but it might help out the folks who grade predictions to get responses counted up and posted quicker.

I created a test form in Google forms to gather prediction responses. There are lots of cool features in Google forms that we can utilize and it'll help graders review the point values after sim results are posted. Below are the links to the test form and spreadsheet (made up results for week 13) that illustrate how a user can submit a response and a grader can review results.

NSFL Week 13 Predictions Test Form
Spreadsheet Results

To summarize, here are the features I think would help out with prediction grading:
1) All responses inputted into a spreadsheet
2) Results graded instantly with one IF statement formula
3) Ability to stop accepting responses manually or on a schedule

User Verification
What if we have everyone create a passcode to enter when they submit their predictions?

On the back end, I can write a formula to cross reference their form response with their passcode to accept or reject their predictions.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms - manicmav36 - 11-28-2017

Well this sounds neat. Well done!

Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms - 7hawk77 - 11-28-2017

This sounds like a great idea to me.

I'm guessing the counter argument is trying to keep as much on the forum as possible for auditing purposes.

Say player X fills out the form and submit, but somehow it doesn't go through. We don't grant that player the TPE but then they are upset since they thought they completed the PT.

Granted I think that it's probably worth the risk above just to make it super quick.

(11-28-2017, 01:52 PM)7hawk77 Wrote:This sounds like a great idea to me.

I'm guessing the counter argument is trying to keep as much on the forum as possible for auditing purposes.

Say player X fills out the form and submit, but somehow it doesn't go through. We don't grant that player the TPE but then they are upset since they thought they completed the PT.

Granted I think that it's probably worth the risk above just to make it super quick.

I think we could take care of that scenario by regularly posting in a thread of the players who have already made a submission and update that thread every 12 hours leading up to the close of the form.

We can also make the spreadsheet results available for everyone to view that way they can check to see their response in the form in view-only permissions.

Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms - 7hawk77 - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 04:14 PM)PDXBaller Wrote:I think we could take care of that scenario by regularly posting in a thread of the players who have already made a submission and update that thread every 12 hours leading up to the close of the form.

We can also make the spreadsheet results available for everyone to view that way they can check to see their response in the form in view-only permissions.

Yeah exactly.

This is great.

Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms - bovovovo - 11-28-2017

Just tested it lol

I like it!

Would you set it so each user can only submit once? That would keep people from changing their predictions after they’ve sent them in. Would you only count the users most recent predictions if they fill it out more than once?

(11-28-2017, 02:41 PM)bovovovo Wrote:Just tested it lol

I like it!

Would you set it so each user can only submit once? That would keep people from changing their predictions after they’ve sent them in. Would you only count the users most recent predictions if they fill it out more than once?

The only way to restrict one entry per user is to require them to log into Google and that's something I don't want to force people to do.

As you said, we would only count the most recent predictions if they filled it out more than once. This is very easy to filter out and identify any multiple entries a user. Basically I would:

1) Filter out duplicate entries by one user and remove oldest entry
2) Input formula to calculate scores
3) Alphabetize list of users with scores for output

Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms - SwagSloth - 11-28-2017

Just tried it. Really easy. Good idea!

(11-28-2017, 03:58 PM)SwagSloth Wrote:Just tried it. Really easy. Good idea!

Glad to hear it was an enjoyable experience! I added conditional formatting in the spreadsheet so you can easily see who won in my test results. Bam! 1 TPE for SwagSloth on Week 13 predictions.

Game Predictions Suggestion - Forms - timeconsumer - 11-28-2017

I would change the IF() formula to point to specific cells to find which game has which winner rather than relying on someone to manually edit the "outlaws" or "otters" sections of it.