International Simulation Football League
*PrePlayoff Interview with Wraiths RB Eric Kennedy - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *PrePlayoff Interview with Wraiths RB Eric Kennedy (/showthread.php?tid=6243)

*PrePlayoff Interview with Wraiths RB Eric Kennedy - SwagSloth - 12-02-2017

After a surprising entry into the NSFL Playoffs, the Wraiths’ own Eric Kennedy recently spoke to the journalists at SportsHype.net to discuss his own experience so far in the NSFL’s 4th Season and the team’s unexpected success as they continue forward with the “Worst Rebuild Ever”.

SportsHype: Thank you for joining up today. Obviously, the big news coming out of the NSFL this week is the Wraiths qualifying for the play-offs as a top seed. How do you feel about that? And what do you attribute this success to?

Eric Kennedy: It’s definitely welcome news. A lot of people had us counted out and now we’re walking into the play-offs with homefield advantage. It feels good. Honestly, if nothing else, the Wraiths are a stubborn team. We don’t really like to fall in line. Last season was a heartbreaker. Many of the pieces were in place, but the little things just weren’t clicking. Some fans were even joking that our stadium was haunted. And then this year we lost some big names. Orosz, Cushing, Garden. Those guys were more than teammates. They were family. And, when the opportunity came, they left for greener pastures. I guess from their perspective, they were doing what they had to do to compete. They might have all stayed if we had met our goals last season, but S3 was a disappointment on many levels and I think the consensus for this season was more of the same. So, they got off a sinking ship. We tried to keep it under wraps, but it’s no secret at this point that the guys that left us this year chose to leave. Even the ones that were traded asked for those trades. And we were in a tough spot before they left, so those moves didn’t do us any favors. And yet here we stand as a top seed. What was that phrase going around that the fans were saying? Worst rebuild ever?

SH: That’s the one.

EK: Yeah, leave it to Yellowknife. We can’t even lose properly. But this really is a stubborn team. It’s in our DNA. We’re used to being the underdogs, so when people count us out, it makes us work harder. Heck, look at the one big free agent that came in this year, Ethan Hunt. He stepped up big time. He even adopted the moniker Gosh Jarden. I think a few people had called him a bargain brand replacement for Josh Garden and he got wind of that. That would have hurt a lot of guys, but Hunt ran with it. He allowed it to fuel him and make him work harder. And that’s what makes him a perfect fit for this team because that’s who we all are. When the chips are down and people count us out, it makes us want to prove them wrong.

SH: A lot of team members stepped up this year. The revival of Ethan Hunt has been a big story this year, but it’s obviously not a one-man show. Who do you feel made the most impact this year?

EK: Well, it goes without saying, but still probably deserves to be said. Bailey Cook is awesome. The guy’s just a freak athlete and I think he’s silenced his critics this year. People used to compare him and Garden, but he’s every bit as good, if not better. Mat Akselsen is another obvious contributor. He stepped into a new role in a big way and immediately took ownership of it Joseph Askins is another one. I keep saying he’s talented, but damn that kid is talented. And that’s just the offense. Defensively, we’ve got such a great crew. Bork, Lavelle, and Maddox are all incredible. I also don’t think William Ridley gets enough credit. He came in and just bonded with us immediately. Phenomenal guy. Honestly, if you let me, I’m just gonna name drop the whole team. I love these guys and I love the effort they’ve put in this season.

SH: You made a few headlines when you recently re-signed with the Wraiths. There was a lot of doubt after some off-season drama, but you announced that you did intend to return to Yellowknife after seeing so many teammates leave for free agency. I don’t want to go too much into that because I know it’s not something you like to talk about, but given that show of loyalty at the end, do you feel vindicated that you’ve chosen to stay given the Wraiths’ performance this year?

EK: Well first off, I am very proud to say that we’ve reached a deal. I think given the circumstances of the offseason, a few people were surprised to see me sign for what I did, but I think a lot of people also misunderstood what I was saying. And the fault is on me for that, but this was never about a huge contract. I wanted what was fair for my role and I think I got that. There were some murmurs going around -- I don’t even think you’d call them rumors… -- that my role was shrinking and I think I was pushing back against that. I really should have sat down with Spike and discussed it like a man, but I didn’t handle it properly. That’s part of being young and foolish, I guess, but it was a learning experience. All I ever wanted was a chance to prove myself and the team has continued to expand my role more and more with every season. They’re giving me the chances I’m asking for. What more could I really ask for? As far as being vindicated, I don’t know if that’s the right word. I didn’t cheer when Orosz and the Sabercats got knocked out of the play-offs. If we beat the Liberty next week, as we expect to do, it’s not going to be out of any malice to Cushing. These were our brothers. We miss them and we hope they’ll come back one day. But for now, the guys that are still here have to band together. And that’s what this is all about.

SH: If I may, you have made it clear that you want to be the clear starter for the Wraiths. A few years ago, during prospect interviews, you said that it was your goal to become a “bell cow” in the NSFL. This year was a big step toward that, but you’re also competing against one of the best Running Backs to ever set foot on an NSFL field. Is it still your goal to take over that role? Or would you be content in a 50/50 committee situation if it leads to more success for Yellowknife?

EK: Obviously, my goals are well-known and I don’t hide that. I came here to be a star. There were some road blocks, but I think I’ve handled that adversity well. That said, when players make statements, we’re not speaking for the team. We’re only speaking for ourselves. Yes, I want every carry I can get. So does Nuck. So does every Running Back on every team. You don’t get to this level without believing in yourself. That said, Nuck and I aren’t sitting down with management and telling them how many carries to give us. Given the conversations we’ve had, I can tell you that we both want a role. We’re not dictating what that role is, but the two of us are too good to stay on the bench for long. If he’s running the ball, then I’ll be out there making catches. And vice-versa. He’s a much better receiver than I think anyone’s given him credit for being. We’re both competitive and we push each other to be better. I don’t think I’d be this good now if he hadn’t forced me to step up my own game. It sounds contradictory. When you’ve got one guy standing in the way of what you want, logic dictates that you should want him out of the way, but you also don’t get better by surrounding yourself with people that don’t challenge you. I think Nuck brings the best out of me and I like the dynamic we have right now. At the end of the day, it’s up to management and the coaching staff to determine what’s best for the team, but we’re both going to keep pushing ourselves to be as good as we can be.

SH: The Otters have had a lot of success in the past with a Running Back Committee. The Wraiths appear to be doing well with it this season. You seem content with that type of role right now, but you’ve also made a lot of progress in the last three years. One has to imagine that the next three years will be worth keeping a close eye on. This time around, it was about loyalty. When the next contract comes up, if the Wraiths are in better shape, would you consider moving to a team that didn’t utilize a committee?

EK: Three years is a long time. And I don’t want to begin to claim to know what the future holds. I would never want to leave the Wraiths when they need me, but this is a strong team and they know how to adopt. And I want to do my part to help make them even stronger. That said, three years is three years. I plan to be in the NSFL for a long time and I suspect I’ll see the rosters of a few teams over that time frame. I’m sure that I’ll have a big decision when that day comes, but for now, I’m happy with where I’m at. If anything, I’m looking at the possibility of spending the next three years with the Season 4 Ultimus champions, so I don’t think it gets any better than that.

SH: A bold claim. If you beat the Liberty, are you prepared to take down the Outlaws? No one’s done it yet.

EK: There’s a first time for everything. You’ve seen this team. We love a good challenge.

SH: Good point. If I may shift the focus away before we wrap this up, I did want to take some time to talk to you about your health. You dropped a lot of weight last off-season and have spoken openly about the health issues that you struggled with during your first 2 seasons. How are you feeling?

EK: The best I’ve felt in a long time. The stats speak for themselves, but you run well, you feel well. This transformation has been life-changing. I don’t think I actually realized how much that extra weight was holding me back. I’m a southern boy. I eat a lot. I’ve always been a bit heavy. I’ve dealt with that my entire life and I just assumed that was the way it was always going to be. This change has been challenging. I’m not looking forward to being back home this offseason and being tempted by all the food, but it really just comes down to self-control. I’ve been very careful to know my limits. The problem with bulking up is it gives you permission to go kind of crazy and then it’s hard to leave that behind once the weight is packed on. Losing it has been the complete opposite. You get the occasion cheat day, but you practically have to be on point all the time. It’s been really tough, but it’s also worth it. Waking up every day, I just feel ready to go to work. I’m dragging anymore. The best metaphor for this is the work I’ve accomplished on the field because the improvements the fans see in the stats are the same kind of improvements I’m experiencing in my every day life. It’s given me a whole new outlook. And I’m just grateful for that level of change. And, more than anything, I hope my weight loss will inspire others to do the same.

SH: Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today. Good luck in the upcoming play-offs.

EK: Thank you. We’re so excited to be in this position and I can’t stress enough how proud I am of this team.

2044 Words

GRADED

*PrePlayoff Interview with Wraiths RB Eric Kennedy - daBenchwarmer - 12-02-2017

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

*PrePlayoff Interview with Wraiths RB Eric Kennedy - SwagSloth - 12-02-2017

(12-02-2017, 02:24 PM)daBenchwarmer Wrote::cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

*PrePlayoff Interview with Wraiths RB Eric Kennedy - bovovovo - 12-02-2017

(12-02-2017, 04:50 PM)SwagSloth Wrote::bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:

:belly: :belly: :belly: