International Simulation Football League
*Wojcik on the Warpath - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Wojcik on the Warpath (/showthread.php?tid=6290)

Pages: 1 2

*Wojcik on the Warpath - Squamish - 12-06-2017

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Wojcik on the Warpath
Charles Evremonde, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette[/div]

Casimir Wojcik always had the same piece of advice for his sons as they grew up: work harder than the other guy and you'll achieve more than they will. It was a sound piece of advice, if a bit optimistic, but it's always worked well for his oldest son Bogdan. He was the largest of his brothers, and growing up in Bialystok, it was a hard life for him. The Wojcik clan would wake up at 4:30 every morning to tend to the pigs, feeding them and cleaning the troughs before going to school. After school, they would each be able to participate in one activity with their free time before returning home; Bogdan participated in soccer as the school didn't have a team for American football, but when he earned enough money for his own television, he would watch games on the weekends and it wasn't long before he was hooked. He would watch as many games as possible, but he always enjoyed the Carolina Panthers the most, even if it took him the better part of a season to pronounce the name correctly (he pronounced it "Caroleena").

During his junior and senior years of high school, he would practice as much as he could out in the fields, and while he never really got the hang of throwing and catching, hitting people came naturally. There were times when a pig would escape from the pens, and as the oldest and largest, it typically fell to Bogdan to catch it and bring it back. He had to quickly adapt to changes in direction, dive at proper angles, and grip and control the pig's heavy body mass. It was hard work when it was part of the farm, but it was fun when it was part of practice.

Bogdan was always a smart kid, and while he had a few scholarship offers in his native Poland (notably a full ride to Jagiellonian University in Krakow) he had an American cousin who found him an opportunity to play American football for a school near him, Robert Morris. He applied, got partial funding, and his cousin offered to pay the rest and allow him to live in the guest room so he could come over and try his hand at his favorite sport. He walked on, the coach was particularly impressed with him, and tried him out at defensive tackle for the first few practices just to see how he got on. Immediately something clicked. It was like he was meant to play the position. There was an established starter at the position, so he got limited game time the first year (along with the occasional few snaps at defensive end, where he wasn't as good). By the time the second year came around, the position battle was just a formality - Bogdan had earned his spot, and he'd earned a scholarship.

After starting his sophomore year, the plaudits started rolling in - and so did offers from D-1 schools. West Virginia wanted Bogdan pretty heavily, the coach even came to several Robert Morris games, and he took a few calls from Penn State, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. Nonetheless, he decided to stay with Robert Morris as his living arrangements were handled, and by then he was of course getting a full scholarship to play there. He also wanted a school that understood his desire to have a real degree with possible applications toward his future, rather than somewhere that would have him take Basket Weaving 101 just for the sake of football. He was halfway through a Chemistry degree by that point.

Once he graduated, having stayed all four years, and with his degree, a few analysts threw his name out there as a possible late round steal for the NFL draft. At the same time, he heard one guy absolutely falling all over himself to say how great Bogdan was and what an asset he'd be: one of my fellow Post-Gazette writers, Rodion Raskolnikov, the NSFL beat writer. Immediately Bogdan called Raskolnikov and inquired about this NSFL as it wasn't something he was familiar with, and he was directed to where to apply, and here we are now. One of the hottest young talents on the market, Bogdan Wojcik will be available to join the NSFL as a defensive tackle for the upcoming season.

GRADED

727 words

*Wojcik on the Warpath - timeconsumer - 12-06-2017

Quote:Joined: Today at 08:07 pm

This dude works quick

(12-06-2017, 10:40 PM)timeconsumer Wrote:This dude works quick
B)

*Wojcik on the Warpath - AsylumParty - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 11:40 PM)timeconsumer Wrote:This dude works quick
Noble? :ph34r:

*Wojcik on the Warpath - 124715 - 12-07-2017

(12-06-2017, 11:40 PM)timeconsumer Wrote:This dude works quick

As far as I can tell, he's already sent PMs to the DSFL GMs.

*Wojcik on the Warpath - Squamish - 12-07-2017

(12-07-2017, 08:45 AM)124715 Wrote:As far as I can tell, he's already sent PMs to the DSFL GMs.
I sent one to you because you commented on my player thread. I have not sent to all.

(12-07-2017, 12:21 PM)Squamish Wrote:I sent one to you because you commented on my player thread. I have not sent to all.

Interesting. Reverse tampering.

*Wojcik on the Warpath - Squamish - 12-07-2017

(12-07-2017, 08:05 PM)124715 Wrote:Interesting. Reverse tampering.
Not really - I'm a player, I'm not even affiliated with a team. Pretty sure I can contact whoever I want.

I'm sensing some hostility in here? I don't get it

(12-07-2017, 09:25 PM)Squamish Wrote:Not really - I'm a player, I'm not even affiliated with a team. Pretty sure I can contact whoever I want.

I'm sensing some hostility in here? I don't get it

Oh, my bad. I was trying to make a joke. It appears I failed badly. Yikes.