International Simulation Football League
Sim Alert - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Forum: Archived Suggestions (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=349)
+----- Thread: Sim Alert (/showthread.php?tid=6958)

Pages: 1 2

Sim Alert - automatic - 01-03-2018

Create a new topic on the boards for live streams. Said streamer will post 5 min before the show begins, so everyone doesn't have hope they tune in for the game.

Like the S4 finals game, which was ninja streamed before the set start time and everyone missed it. Or the game currently underway, which started and I have no fucking clue because why would I.

Sim Alert - DeathOnReddit - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 09:07 PM)automatic Wrote:Create a new topic on the boards for live streams.  Said streamer will post 5 min before the show begins, so everyone doesn't have hope they tune in for the game. 

Like the S4 finals game, which was ninja streamed before the set start time and everyone missed it.  Or the game currently underway, which started and I have no fucking clue because why would I.

They said for a while it would start at 8 est

Sim Alert - AdamS - 01-03-2018

Still a great idea. I'll expand on or and say a disvord warning, a site thread, and a general amount of communication that the show is about to happen.

I'll bring it to the attention of the HOs.

Sim Alert - White Cornerback - 01-03-2018

(01-04-2018, 02:07 AM)automatic Wrote:Create a new topic on the boards for live streams.  Said streamer will post 5 min before the show begins, so everyone doesn't have hope they tune in for the game. 

Like the S4 finals game, which was ninja streamed before the set start time and everyone missed it.  Or the game currently underway, which started and I have no fucking clue because why would I.

If you recall the S4 finals game had NUMEROUS streamer problems, including the file going missing due to streamers not being anyway reliable. We streamed the game as soon as we got the file because frankly, it had been delayed more than enough times.

Announcements are always made regarding season time changes and when games will be announced. There also ALWAYS announced in discord prior to being streamed. If people don't look on the forums, or in the discord than how other can we possibly tell them about games?

There's been shouts to move the live games somewhere or create a ticker tape but nobody's volunteered.

Sim Alert - automatic - 01-04-2018

(01-03-2018, 08:16 PM)White Cornerback Wrote:If you recall the S4 finals game had NUMEROUS streamer problems, including the file going missing due to streamers not being anyway reliable. We streamed the game as soon as we got the file because frankly, it had been delayed more than enough times.

Announcements are always made regarding season time changes and when games will be announced. There also ALWAYS announced in discord prior to being streamed. If people don't look on the forums, or in the discord than how other can we possibly tell them about games?

There's been shouts to move the live games somewhere or create a ticker tape but nobody's volunteered.

Don't crutch on the announcements. S4 title there was an announcement, it was wrong in both day and time. Preseason S5 there was an announcement, but it was a day wrong. I dont think it was even streamed. There is nothing up on the twitch. There was no follow up, nothing posted "Hey forgot today but tune in tomorrow" How can anyone have faith in the announcements, you are batting 33% and not correcting mistakes.

Seriously I don't think this is very hard. Put a new button "Now Streaming" change it from red to green.

Sim Alert - 7hawk77 - 01-04-2018

The season 4 ultimus was streamed an hour earlier than it was supposed to because
1.) It was already pushed back a few days because we didn't have the sim file to stream it on the appropriate day
2.) We really didn't have any simmer/streamers so I stepped up as a last resort so we didn't have to push it back again. Unfortunately, I had a conflict with the original time so I had to stream it earlier than specified. I announced it on the NSFL discord.

Sim Alert - White Cornerback - 01-04-2018

(01-04-2018, 03:12 PM)automatic Wrote:Don't crutch on the announcements.  S4 title there was an announcement, it was wrong in both day and time.  Preseason S5 there was an announcement, but it was a day wrong.  I dont think it was even streamed.  There is nothing up on the twitch.    There was no follow up, nothing posted "Hey forgot today but tune in tomorrow"  How can anyone have faith in the announcements, you are batting 33% and not correcting mistakes. 

Seriously I don't think this is very hard.  Put a new button "Now Streaming" change it from red to green.

You're jumping over the very convenient fact that our simmer decided to up and vanish with the files. The only file that we had for S4 with updates. So we had to replicate all the updates on the spot. If you think it was us just spot deciding that oh fuck it lets randomly move the games around the bants then think again. We don't ever want to move sim days unless something is entirely necessary to do so.

http://nsfl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=6479 Heres the S5 announcement that was made. If you wanna pay some close attention to the dates, this was during y'know the christmas holidays which we felt might not be the best time for the sim league preseason to begin. Combine the SHEER lack of reliability we had with anybody with the title of simmer and all the work to do, despite most of us putting in easily 7+ hours a day trying to input entire leaguewide player additions and updates, you are completely misunderstanding the work required with nobody volunteering to do it. When we do get somebody to volunteer, they dissapear.

Heres where S5 was pushed back http://nsfl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=6982. This announcement was made on the forums and discord. A full two days before it began, ample time was given to let GM's and players update their dc's and strats. The night went off without a hitch.

I could link the DSFL one too which is tonight and had a further 3 days of time.

S5 Preseason wasn't streamed because we tried , we spent fucking hours inputting that shit that it drove us insane. NONE OF US knew the sheer hours it took to be simmer because, you know what? None of us had ever been simmer before. I'd say for complete rookies we're doing a pretty A+ job.

"Seriously I don't think this is very hard. Put a new button "Now Streaming" change it from red to green." You have absolutely no idea, my friend.

Sim Alert - automatic - 01-04-2018

Sounds like your having troubles keeping with the intended times. There’s nothing wrong with that, what I am saying is build a backup for redundancy, which if I am reading Dermot comment is needed.
The live sim is the crown jewel, and keeping people easily tuned in to that should be a high priority.

And if you are still wondering, for keeping score I personally missed the first game of the week before I heard it was live. Two other otters missed most of the Otters game. These are just Otters, and a one game sample size where the stream was on time. It’s fair to assume every other team has players miss the best part of the stream. Maybe this accounts for high turnover between seasons?

So you don’t have to make anything, just make a new reply in announcements saying “ stream will now be tomorrow at 5 PST.”

This will be the last reply I make in this thread. I believe my point was well made, and an easy suggestion offered. Whether this gets applied is up to leadership.

Sim Alert - 7hawk77 - 01-04-2018

I will say that I'm not opposed to the suggestion and I can definitely see the need for this. I just wanted to defend how shitty the situation was for S4 ultimus.

We definitely want everyone that wants to watch the game to be able to watch them. Watching it live helps build the excitement and fun.

There are definitely a lot of ways we could go about this. @Everyone tag on discord or creating a thread that people can subscribe to that only the simmer can post on.
That way users can get an email from a post on that subscription 15 minutes before the streams go live or something like that.

Sim Alert - AdamS - 01-04-2018

It sounds like we need a PR department of sorts whose only job is to publicly update important stuff happening.

Information had become such a big deal around here that this could help with a lot of the nagging issues