International Simulation Football League
*My Thoughts on Defensive Player of the Year - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *My Thoughts on Defensive Player of the Year (/showthread.php?tid=7287)

*My Thoughts on Defensive Player of the Year - timeconsumer - 02-01-2018

Alright folks, since we're all talking about awards and whatnot I am here to make the case for the man I believe is truly deserving of defensive player of the year.

First let's talk methodology. I didn't just look at the index and glance at some names to decide this. I used a formula. Obviously that doesn't make things immediately superior but it is a good start. My formula goes like this:

Tackles: .25 points (I don't want linebackers to be overrepresented)
TFLs: 1 point
Sacks: 3 points (loss of down like a TFL but with an average yardage loss of 7 while TFL is 1-2)
Interception: 5 points
Pass Defense: 0.75 points (probably the most controversial here but IMO a loss of down and -2 yards with a TFL is more than just a loss of down with a PD. Also an INT grants an automatic PD while a Sack doesn't grant an automatic TFL).
Forced Fumble: 4 points
Fumble Recovery: 1 point (get both and it equals an INT, see what I did there?)
Safety: 6 points (2 points + free kick and possession change back to you)
TD: 12 points
Blocked Punt: 5 points
Blocked XP: 2.5 points
Blocked FG: 5 points

Okay, so I'm sure people will dispute the finer points of my formula, go for it. Hell, go make your own, that's fine with me too.

So, how did this turn out:

#1 Vikain Marmeladov - 103.8 Points
#2 William Ridley - 102.8 Points
#3 Harrif Ernston - 95.8 points
#4 Johnathan Saint - 95.3 Points
#5 Angus Winchester - 95 Points

That's right y'all, not only do I not consider myself #1, I'm down at #5. In my eyes the winner is Mr. Vikain Marmeladov. And let me tell you, this guy is lowkey one of my favorite players in the NSFL. If you don't know Vikain, I'm not surprised, he doesn't talk. But he has been around since S1 and has worked at a strong level ever since.

Vikain's 7 interceptions lead the league. His 2 TDs is tied for first. He also got a FF/FR for a total of 8 turnovers to his name. He has a safety. He even has 3 sacks and 2 TFLs. This guy can do everything and did this season.

And I also want to talk a bit about activity. I don't believe a positional excellence award should be given to an inactive. Point blank. Why should we be awarding you for excellence when you actually aren't working? Ridley and Ernston are inactive. J. Saint is highly active and one of this leagues perennial grinders so he still stays atop the list. But still, Vikain earning 575 TPE through 5 seasons averaging 115 per season is a solid workhorse who while not being an elite earner gaining 180+ a season is still the kind of player that is the backbone of the NSFL.

So hats off to you Mr. Marmeladov for an excellent season that I personally believe is deserving of Defensive Player of the Year.

@Vikain.

*My Thoughts on Defensive Player of the Year - bovovovo - 02-01-2018

Good stuff.

I'm surprised Marmeladov doesn't get more buzz around the league, he's lowkey been extremely good. Kind of similar to Hardrool last year. Marmeladov was my vote for best DB and I was kinda surprised that others aren't voting for him but :shrug:

*My Thoughts on Defensive Player of the Year - iamslm22 - 02-01-2018

I almost voted for him - but since CB stats are so hard I went with the guy based on the eye test I thought had the best year

(02-01-2018, 12:28 PM)iamslm22 Wrote:I almost voted for him - but since CB stats are so hard I went with the guy based on the eye test I thought had the best year

Yeah it's hard to get CBs to get in the mix with stats because of that problem. I would weight PDs more to do so but then it overvalues coverage LBs. I might have to make a separate formula for CBs that has them with higher weighted PDs compared to everyone else...

(02-01-2018, 11:32 AM)timeconsumer Wrote:Yeah it's hard to get CBs to get in the mix with stats because of that problem. I would weight PDs more to do so but then it overvalues coverage LBs. I might have to make a separate formula for CBs that has them with higher weighted PDs compared to everyone else...

And even then it doesn't go to guys who QBs don't throw to because they're lock down corners. Its tough.

(02-01-2018, 12:39 PM)iamslm22 Wrote:And even then it doesn't go to guys who QBs don't throw to because they're lock down corners. Its tough.

Seriously dude? We both know the sim is not even remotely close to that smart. There is zero AI in this thing. Who the QB throws to is completely based upon percentage targets for each play that are stated within the .xml playbook.

And on my note above, I decided to have a little fun and build another formula that weights DL, LB/S, and CB differently. Here are the results:

[Image: YiROVVI.png]

Again this is based on my own subjective and highly flawed formula, but it is a good start so that we can actually talk about guys that don't get all the hype others do.

(02-01-2018, 11:49 AM)timeconsumer Wrote:Seriously dude? We both know the sim is not even remotely close to that smart. There is zero AI in this thing. Who the QB throws to is completely based upon percentage targets for each play that are stated within the .xml playbook.

And on my note above, I decided to have a little fun and build another formula that weights DL, LB/S, and CB differently. Here are the results:

[Image: YiROVVI.png]

Again this is based on my own subjective and highly flawed formula, but it is a good start so that we can actually talk about guys that don't get all the hype others do.

That's fair. Just kind of ridiculous to think of Brister as the best CB in the league so I was kind of trying to do my own reasoning ha.

*My Thoughts on Defensive Player of the Year - tbone415 - 02-01-2018

(02-01-2018, 12:32 PM)iamslm22 Wrote:That's fair. Just kind of ridiculous to think of Brister as the best CB in the league so I was kind of trying to do my own reasoning ha.

u wot m8?

(02-01-2018, 01:32 PM)iamslm22 Wrote:That's fair. Just kind of ridiculous to think of Brister as the best CB in the league so I was kind of trying to do my own reasoning ha.

Short of someone watching the sims play by play and figuring out the rating a CB gives up to the opposing QB there really isn't a way to accurately determine which corners were the true superstars besides PDs and INTs.