International Simulation Football League
*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings (/showthread.php?tid=7807)

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - 124715 - 03-05-2018

I'm dropping my first ever edition of the DSFL power rankings going into weeks 8 and 9. Weeks 6 and 7 saw a changing of the guard at the top of the DSFL. I hope to make this a more regular thing so I can do deltas.
Without further ado, here goes.

#6: Palm Beach Solar Bears (1-6, 3rd DSFL South, L5)
Oh my, how things can change in one season. Last year's champions have looked lost on the field, with their only win coming at home against the Coyotes in week 2. After GM Mike Booter made the controversial decision to move on from QB Jim McMahon, the offense has been abysmal, averaging just 11 points per game. The defense hasn't looked bad, and most likely they'd be better if Steve Fuller would stop handing the ball to the other team. Fuller, despite his rushing threat, is one of the worse QBs in the league, averaging a poor 2 INTs per game with a miserable 1:3.5 TD:INT ratio. The rushing attack isn't bad, but the Solar Bears risk a turnover every time they throw the ball which makes the offense limited.
Outlook: Surprisingly, the Solar Bears are just two games back from a playoff spot, as Tijuana has the H2H tiebreaker over PB. Palm Beach will need to step up their game to do anything in the postseason, should they qualify.

#5: Tijuana Luchadores TIJ (2-5, 2nd DSFL South, L2)
The Luchadores looked pathetic in the first three games of the season, suffering a 37-7 beatdown at the hands of the Coyotes, then traveling to San Antonio and getting demolished to the tune of 30-14, then losing with the same score at home to the Norfolk Seawolves. They then appeared to turn things around, edging out a win over Palm Beach at home, and pulling off a massive upset of championship favorite Portland Pythons. It all came crashing back to earth after they went back into Missouri and allowed Mark Strike and Robby Rainey to surgically dissect their defense. They then hosted the Marshals and only managed 10 points on offense. Sam Penner hasn't been looking bad, with a 1.8:1 TD:INT ratio that's good for second in the league. However, his supporting cast is unspectacular.
Outlook: If the season ended now, the Luchadores would qualify for the playoffs. However, they are not a playoff-caliber team. They've shown that they can be the best team in the league, but they just aren't consistent.

#4: Norfolk Seawolves NOR (3-4, 3rd DSFL North, W1)
The Seawolves are sporting the 2nd worst offense and the 2nd worst defense in the league, but they still manage to pull out wins and that's why they're not 5th. QB Carson Palmer has a terrible 1:2.5 TD:INT ratio, which is the second worst in the league behind Steve Fuller. And Palmer doesn't even field the same rushing threat as Fuller! They have the fewest rushing TDs in the league but average a decent 5 yards each time they run the ball. They have three good RBs and they should split carries more to take some pressure off Palmer. They have good pieces on defense and may potentially be able to pull it together as the playoff race becomes all-out.
Outlook: The Seawolves have to beat out either the Pythons or the Coyotes to make the playoffs. While it's unlikely, the Pythons have shown their weaknesses and the Coyotes started shaky. Norfolk needs an improvement on offense desperately.

#3: Portland Pythons POR (5-2, 2nd DSFL North, L1)
I know this is a hot take for a team with so much talent and the second best point differential in the league. I just can't put Portland above 3 with two losses that should be concerning to Pythons fans - a 20-3 in Tijuana and a 29-7 demolition in Kansas City. However, they have a QB by committee approach that may be working better than San Antonio's, and Borro Gore and Shawn Ariel is a power-packed duo. So why can't the Pythons put it together? First of all, either Cole McCoy or Jameis Christ needs to cement himself as the starting QB and attempt to make a respectable passing attack. Right now, teams like the Luchadores and the Coyotes can snuff out the rushing attack and make it possible to hold them to very few points.
Outlook: The Pythons need only to beat out the unimpressive Seawolves for a playoff spot, but as it stands now the Pythons will have to travel to Kansas City in the first round of the playoffs. If either QB can put it together in the second half of the season, Portland could be impossible to beat with a legendary rushing attack, great defense, and respectable passing. Until then, the DSFL's dynasty team is simply too predictable.

#2: San Antonio Marshals SA (5-2, 1st DSFL South, W2)
After a disastrous S5 which saw the wheels fall off and the Marshals slip out of the playoffs, the GM re-sign, and a QB change mid season, San Antonio has put it back together. Neither rookie Ryan Applehort nor sophomore Mike Vick has been able to decisively claim the starting QB spot. With only 7 games remaining before the playoffs, maybe the Marshals management intend to keep the 2QB approach? The offense is good enough without a surefire QB, averaging 19 points per game. Willy Nyquist has been strong on the ground, notching 6 TDs (1st in the league). Carter Bush provides a very reliable 2nd option. The Marshals are coming off 2 convincing road wins, which is why they are ahead of Portland despite less glamorous stats. Not to mention, the Marshals defense is strong, leading the league in picks. However, Marshals fans have been unhappy with the inconsistent play of their young QBs leading to a pitiful 2-2 record at home. Could this spell trouble for the Marshals later on?
Outlook: The Marshals are very close to clinching a playoff spot in the weak DSFL South. They will need all the momentum they can get as they face a gauntlet of a second-half schedule, facing the Coyotes and Pythons each twice.

#1: Kansas City Coyotes KCC (5-2, 1st DSFL North, W5)
Speaking of impressive turnarounds following disastrous S5s, look no further than the Kansas City Coyotes. They have found their groove with the offense, averaging over 22 points per game - easily first in the league. The defense is also best in the league, smothering opponents by allowing only 13 points per game. Veteran QB Mark Strike is lighting up the league, with a stellar 3:1 TD:INT ratio and a spectacular 87.4 rating. Strike is also formidable on the ground, leading the DSFL with an impressive 10.4 YPC. Strike accounts for over 2100 total yards and 14 total TDs. He's got an amazing supporting cast, as first overall pick Howard Miller leads the league in catches and yards. On defense, many players have stepped up to be as successful as the Coyotes are, including waiver steal Ryan LeFevre and the little-known Mike Smith. Coming off a statement 29-7 blowout of the Portland Pythons, this team looks tough to beat.
Outlook: The Coyotes are riding high with the first place spot in the division. However, a tough 4-game road streak to end the season could rain on their parade and ruin their momentum.

Hope you enjoyed! Taking critiques if you have them Smile

Code:

Maybe I should add more hot takes next week

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - PDXBaller - 03-05-2018

Too hot to handle.

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - Roly - 03-05-2018

Awesome write up and great power rankings. SA management loving our two QBs

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - jparks98 - 03-05-2018

Eh, who needs offense?

*DSFL Week 8 Power Rankings - majesiu - 03-05-2018

(03-06-2018, 01:06 AM)jparks98 Wrote:Eh, who needs offense?

I'm having Déjà vu.

Anyways good read and it seems we are going to have two power rankings for DSFL and none for NSFL since tlk742 is hitting pause on his write-ups.

(03-05-2018, 08:29 PM)majesiu Wrote:I'm having Déjà vu.

Anyways good read and it seems we are going to have two power rankings for DSFL and none for NSFL since tlk742 is hitting pause on his write-ups.

I started writing an NSFL rankings but decided to do this instead. I don't really have the time to do both :blink: