International Simulation Football League
Player Agents - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Forum: Archived Suggestions (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=349)
+----- Thread: Player Agents (/showthread.php?tid=8196)

Player Agents - dropbear - 04-05-2018

Ok, so I've had a long and hard think about how to make the free agent period/bargaining of contracts a bit more interesting. A lot of the ideas we threw around were good, but just not plausible. But I think I've found a solution that not only addresses the contract issue, it will also lead to a league with higher TPE players overall.

Player Agents

Any user can create another persona separate to their own NSFL player (just as GMs often do) to act as a player agent.

Player agents are allowed to complete one of, or both, of the two following activities:
  • Writing/creating GFX for PTs
  • Writing media
Users who aren't active enough to keep up with both weekly PTs can hire an agent to complete them on their behalf. The agent would post in the same thread under their own account, but start the post with, for example, "[On behalf of BenLongshaw"]. The user gets the TPE, but they must pay the agent at 25% of the media payout structure.

So, to have someone write both PTs each week (2 x 200 words) for the 14-week season at 25% of media payout rates would cost almost exactly $2 million. Now, if you could squeeze that out of your team and not have to write a single PT all season, you would, wouldn't you? Plus, active users looking for an outlet for more money without committing to something as demanding as a league job can capitalise on this new, more laidback role.

Most importantly, it generates opportunities for great media and league drama. Agents writing media on behalf of their player (with their consent prior, of course), trying to drive up their draft stock or defend them in a scandal. There are so many angles!

Media written is paid at the normal rate, except 50% to the player and 50% to the player agent. Again, the player agent would need to start their post with [On behalf of...].

I think this solution not only prevents any extra TPE from entering into the system, it also doesn't inflate contracts to the point that teams can't afford it. It gives user an outlet for their currently unrewarded activity, and lets people who are pressed for time still become elite players by not falling behind in TPE, leading to them enjoying the league more and staying longer. Wins all around!

So, what are your thoughts?

Player Agents - ADwyer87 - 04-05-2018

I personally am not a fan. I don't think anyone should be able to have someone else do work for them while they get the TPE. In my opinion it is both counterproductive AND opens up avenues for some dishonest tactics that we already tried to get rid of when we took out money sharing

Player Agents - iamslm22 - 04-05-2018

(04-05-2018, 10:40 AM)ADwyer87 Wrote:I personally am not a fan. I don't think anyone should be able to have someone else do work for them while they get the TPE. In my opinion it is both counterproductive AND opens up avenues for some dishonest tactics that we already tried to get rid of when we took out money sharing

Completely agree. An agent can get their player a better opportunity IRL but they can't make their player better. That's what this is doing.

Player Agents - ExemplaryChad - 04-05-2018

Don't know if I'm on board with the agent idea or not, but what if agents could do PTs for money instead of TPEs? Maybe like a set amount so it's not anything crazy like what the media used to be. A way to earn just a little bit of money at a time?

Player Agents - SwagSloth - 04-05-2018

I get the nature of this and I think its intentions are good. However, anytime we allow someone to earn TPE/$$$ on behalf of another player, it just turns into teams helping themselves out and/or GMs getting around contracts. For example, media payments used to be able to be redirected, but now you have to prove that someone contributed to split payment. Another example would be a GM saying "Listen, I can't pay you more than X, but I'll write media to get you 3x that".

If this passed, no wraith will ever miss a TPE or need money to train and we'd be able to pay everyone minimum. Like I said, it's well-intended, but we've run into issues with similar ideas before.

Player Agents - Ramero - 04-05-2018

I have to say I very much dislike this idea. Way back when there used to be player agencies in the SHL and they 1) weren't used and 2) didn't do much anyways. I feel like this is an idea that has too much room for exploit before ultimately just being ignored.

Player Agents - Oles - 04-06-2018

(04-05-2018, 12:53 PM)SwagSloth Wrote:I get the nature of this and I think its intentions are good. However, anytime we allow someone to earn TPE/$$$ on behalf of another player, it just turns into teams helping themselves out and/or GMs getting around contracts. For example, media payments used to be able to be redirected, but now you have to prove that someone contributed to split payment. Another example would be a GM saying "Listen, I can't pay you more than X, but I'll write media to get you 3x that".

If this passed, no wraith will ever miss a TPE or need money to train and we'd be able to pay everyone minimum. Like I said, it's well-intended, but we've run into issues with similar ideas before.

This is a big reason why I don't like it. If this was implemented I'd be able to keep every inactive/fringe active I could get in contact with as a max earner, laying out how to implement their tpe and basically doing everything for them. It would make it easy for teams to keep inactives active as long as they could just get them on to update.

Player Agents - AdamS - 04-06-2018

It's also super complicated and would require extra updater work just to keep up with who is what, who owes what, and where money goes.

Player Agents - dropbear - 04-06-2018

I mentioned on Discord after some initial discussion that a way around the collusion issues would be that a user couldn't represent someone from their own team. That would put a stop to any of the underhanded stuff.

Nonetheless, it's clearly not a popular idea anyway. Thanks for the feedback!

Player Agents - SwagSloth - 04-06-2018

(04-06-2018, 02:12 AM)BenLongshaw Wrote:I mentioned on Discord after some initial discussion that a way around the collusion issues would be that a user couldn't represent someone from their own team. That would put a stop to any of the underhanded stuff.

Nonetheless, it's clearly not a popular idea anyway. Thanks for the feedback!

Kind of like I said above, I think your intention is good here, but it's a road that we've unfortunately been down before. Definitely keep your ideas coming, though. Don't let this one discourage you. Discussion of ideas like this is good for the league.