International Simulation Football League
*A Look at the New Orleans Second Line’s Draft - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *A Look at the New Orleans Second Line’s Draft (/showthread.php?tid=8938)

*A Look at the New Orleans Second Line’s Draft - Mongoose87 - 05-29-2018

A Look at the New Orleans Second Line’s Draft and a Post-Draft Conversion with Safety Will H Harrison

Diane Brapoporm – TNS: The Network of Sports

The dust is just settling from last week’s exciting NSFL entry draft, and with training camp underway, teams are taking stock of what they have in their new, rookie players. Training camps mean first impressions, and first impressions are lasting impressions, so there’s no doubt that the entirety of some careers will be decided in these few fateful days.

Today, I will examine the players chosen in the draft by the New Orleans Second Line. The Second Line’s management team went all defense in a draft that was light on top quality offensive prospects, but very deep defensively, especially on the line. It will be interesting to see how that plays out, for a team that was the definition of middle of the road defensively, but bottom three in passing, rushing yards and points scored, on offense.

The Second Line’s 4-10 finish netted them the second overall pick in the draft, and they used it to take Canadian safety Will H Harrison. This was a pick completely devoid of controversy. Experts were certain Harrison would be selected early, and the only real question was where he would land. Undoubtedly, when the Colorado Yeti chose linebacker Ricky Romero first overall, Harrison was an easy choice for New Orleans. While the Second Line have considerable depth at Free Safety, they have no depth worth speaking of at Strong Safety. New Orleans’ management believes Harrison can make the transition to Strong Safety and start immediately, and anyone who has seen his DSFL tape will understand why.

After a brief rookie season as a waiver pickup, where he impressed with a handful of interceptions, Harrison returned to the Portland Pythons, where he was asked to play a more aggressive and physical game. The Pythons made regular use of him on the blitz, and he racked up seven sacks, third amongst defensive backs, as well as forcing two fumbles and making 67 tackles. On top of his impressive physical playmaking, Harrison also managed three interceptions, including one for a touchdown, five passes defended and two kick returns for touchdowns, as well.

Apart from his play on the field, Harrison has a reputation as a dedicated resident of the weight room, never excusing himself from his weekly sessions, for any reason.
New Orleans had a second pick, seventh overall, in the first round, acquired in trade from the Orange County Otters. They used that pick to select Defensive Tackle Omar Wrong. In the Second Line’s 3-4 defense, Wrong could play either defensive line position, but he likely slots in as the second-string Nose Tackle. Not your traditional 3-4 tackle, Wrong combines average strength with quickness off the ball almost never seen in a man his size. Using this ability to blow by guards and centers, before they could properly get a hand on him, Wrong managed an six sacks for the Tijuana Luchadores, in the DSFL, last season, good for fourth among defensive tackles. The Second Line will likely ask him to add some muscle to his frame this season, and with some success in that area, Wrong could feature an imposing combination of speed and strength. With his dedication, there’s little reason to think he won’t achieve that goal.

With the fifteenth overall pick, and second to last pick in the second round, the Second Line selected Defensive End Vance Sachs. This third pick might be the first by the Second Line that could be deemed controversial. While he managed to rank either in tackles for a loss, the rest of Sachs’ DSFL numbers were an underwhelming 22 tackles and four sacks. While Sachs has decent speed, his strength isn’t quite where you would hope it would be for a 3-4, and there have been serious questions raised about his dedication, making analysts questions as to whether he will put in the time required to improve it. It remains to be seen whether the Second Line’s head office will be able to motivate him to the levels they need as a team.

With their third round pick, their fourth and final pick, the Second Line opted to pass. One has to wonder if this will prove to be controversial, as Tight End Maxwell Macbeth was still on the board, and experienced running back Ardie Savea has been forced to make the transition to Tight End, due to the Second Line’s poor depth at that position. If Macbeth goes on to have a great career, New Orleans may look back at this decision with regret.

I had the opportunity to meet briefly with the Second Line’s top draft pick, Safety Will H Harrison.

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me, Will.

No problem, I’m just enjoying this whole process.

How was the process for you? Were you anxious?

I knew, and I think all the experts knew, that I wasn’t going to be waiting long on draft day. SO, no, I wasn’t anxious. I was excited. After our championship, I’m ready to take football to the next level.

Congratulations on that, by the way.

Thank you.

Were you surprised at all to be taken at #2? Where did you expect to be drafted?

I will say that I had a very positive conversation with the management of the Yeti, and I thought there was a chance, maybe a very good chance, that they would be choosing me first overall. I know that Rickey Ramero is a very talented linebacker, and everyone makes mistakes, so it’s not a big surprise to drop to second. I am not surprised that NOLA (go Second Line!) chose me with the number two pick. I think we have the potential for a long relationship, a productive relationship and a lot of championships.

How welcoming has the New Orleans locker room been? Have you been getting acclimated with the change of scenery?

The veterans, the coaching staff, they’ve all been great. My coaches in Portland did a good job preparing me for the big league, and it’s definitely helped. These are a great group of players, a great group of people, and I think we all want the same things: to have fun and win football games.

There’s been some talk of you moving to Strong Safety this year, what sorts of challenges will that pose for you?

Well, I think I am a very talented athlete, and a very intelligent football player, so I’m not worried. Our scheme in Portland had me doing a lot of Strong Safety things, a lot of blitzing, and I made a lot of tackles, there. I think that and my new coaching staff here will make the change straightforward, and I’m looking forward to the experience.

What realistic goals to do you have for your rookie season?
Well, I expect to start, so I plan to make a lot of tackles, and be a very disruptive player. I aim to be defensive rookie of the year, and I will be doing my best to prove I’m the only choice.

Bold words. Thank you, Will.

Some might say Harrison has a lot of nerve to be talking that way on a team that just went 4-10. Others might say that swagger is just what they need. There’s no doubt it will be interesting to see how these new young players shape up for the New Orleans Second Line.

*A Look at the New Orleans Second Line’s Draft - Ben - 05-29-2018

Bovo totally didn't *force* me to switch to tight end, and he was a great HELP in reallocating etc. It was a pleasure for ME to do this for the good of the team.

:eyes: