International Simulation Football League
*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons (/showthread.php?tid=8991)

*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - AzhekAhriman - 05-31-2018

Who’s Who: S8 DSFL Draft Comparisons
So this will be a little different from a standard draft grade article in that I’m not really focusing on how the team did with the pick in terms of positional needs or locker room presence. This piece will instead be about the kind of player that I can see these rookies becoming (We all understand the vagaries of activity but this class has set itself up to be one of the most active in DSFL history, so forgive me if I lean towards the side of assuming continued activity more often than not). So with that said lets kick it off with the first overall pick going to the San Antonio Marshalls.

#1 OA, San Antonio Marshalls, Kevin Fitzpatrick, QB – Game Manager
Comparison: Mike Boss
Did y’all now that there are no game managers starting for NSFL teams? The QB field is dominated by pocket passer archetypes with a few outliers in gunslinger King Bronko and mobile Akelsen but no game managers to be seen. Without an obvious analog for the archetype I’m going to compare Fitzpatrick to another QB whose consistency in showing up and getting the job done has given him the workmanlike reputation that you see NFL game managers accrue, Mike Boss. Boss is quietly incredible just about every season and while he won’t be pulling many tricks out he coordinates the Otters offense with a pace and fluidity that few if any in the league can match. I see Fitzpatrick sliding into a similar role in Philadelphia by the time he comes up from the DSFL, although hopefully the Philly offense is still there for him to run when he gets there as the unit is built of core inactives that will be hurting from regression the next few seasons. Without a doubt, Fitzpatrick will be bringing his lunch pail day in and day out with the Liberty once he rejoins them, so look out NSFL this is a man who will look you dead in the eyes while he’s throwing touchdowns to DiMirio, Garden’s ravaged body, and the eventual WR conversion that I expect Carter Bush to make.

#2 OA, Kansas City Coyotes, Gus T. T. Showbiz, QB – Pocket Passer
Comparison: Tyler Oles
Here is a QB that’s a little more traditional, and thus easier to place among his NSFL peers in terms of analogs for future prospects. Showbiz is modeled off the Bosses and Oleses of the league and in that way, he seems like he is going to continue the trend of Orange County having a passing attack that you don’t want to encounter on a well-lit football field on Friday night. Where the differentiation comes, and where I see the similarity to Oles in terms of when Showbiz is going to make his DSFL appearance and how much of an instant impact he’s going to have. Oles is a converted defensive back of all things, and his substantial league experience made him a game changer right away for the Liberty once he decided he wanted to be throwing touchdowns instead of catching picks. In the same way I think Showbiz is going to be an instant impact guy for Orange county after a prolonged DSFL stay. Sources surrounding the Coyotes and Showbiz have already been stirring up rumors that the second overall selection wants a guaranteed starting job in order to come up to the NSFL, and an eventual succession to the Mike Boss QB throne seems like the clearest path for Showbiz to make that happen. The delay will allow him to enter the big leagues as one of the most polished QB prospects we’ve seen in the modern era and set rookie QB records once he decides the polish is just shiny enough to see the field.

#3 OA, Kansas City Coyotes, Vinny Valentine, WR -- Speed
Comparison: Eric Kennedy
After just having to spend some effort fitting Fitzpatrick into a comparative box we come into a much easier analog at 3OA with Valentine. Eric Kennedy is a former RB that slimmed down and in doing so became one of the league’s fastest players and arguably the most dangerous with the ball in his hands. Kennedy blazed his way to over 1300 receiving yards in his first season as a WR and regularly made big plays down the field. Valentine already has his speed to 85 as of his first proper week on the Coyotes and you can see that he’s pushing himself to be the fastest man in the DSFL in short order. To put it frankly, Valentine is a star in this league and I expect him to run through the DSFL for a season before a high draft pick and call up sees him pushing for playing time and burning defensive backs in the big leagues for a long, long, time.

#4 OA, Portland Pythons, Elijah Lagerfield, RB -- Speed
Comparison: Reg Mackworthy
With the fourth overall selection the Pythons grabbed a great player in tailback Elijah Lagerfield. The tall (6’1”) and slim (195 Lbs) rusher has been making waves since he was drafted and looks like he’s going to be the perfect complement for a Portland offensive attack that will miss converted WR Mark Grau but returns DSFL All-Star Borro Gore and Cowboy Cole McCoy. While Lagerfield is built a little differently than Reg, I’m going to go with Mackworthy here because of his versatility and ability to be “The Guy” in an offense. RBs are usually undervalued in the league given the pass happy of recent title winning teams and the examples of relatively inexperienced RBs matching up to giants of the game like Tweed and Taylor. For this reason, I think Lagerfield will fall a bit, and end up with a team that wants to make him “Their Guy” on offense in much the same way the near immortal Mackworthy has been made the focal point of Arizona’s offense for the past several seasons. Lagerfield will be able to run with the best of them playing in the backfield or in the slot, and his archetype allows him to be deadly wherever he lines up once he’s put in the work. Whoever drafts Elijah is going to be getting a franchise player and someone who has a shot to contend for awards immediately if given the chance.

Well that’s it for the first article folks. I’ll be back next week with another one of these focusing on the second round of the draft and work through the entire DSFL draft class by the time the season has wound down. As for me, I’m looking forward to seeing this incredible group light up the DSFL and then hit the big leagues running. Congrats 1st round draftees and look out 2nd round draftees! :Eyes: :Eyes:

Code:
WC: 1137 Words and should sneak into the last few minutes of the draft day double media bonus

*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - iamslm22 - 05-31-2018

I think Oles is a gunslinger also - but great article man !

*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - Ramero - 05-31-2018

Some great prospects in this draft, it's gonna be super exciting to watch

*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - OBESE - 05-31-2018

Looking out for that second article, so don't miss out on me like Marshall's did hahaha!

*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - kckolbe - 05-31-2018

(05-31-2018, 08:14 AM)OBESE Wrote:Looking out for that second article, so don't miss out on me like Marshall's did hahaha!

Ooh burn

*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - Jepox - 05-31-2018

That second round article will be a good one :eyes:

*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - keanex - 05-31-2018

Elijah Lagerfield is going to be great and be a cornerstone of the Pythons this year.

*S8 DSFL Draft: Player Comparisons - OBESE - 05-31-2018

(05-31-2018, 03:39 PM)kckolbe Wrote:Ooh burn
A little haha! Big Grin I like it tho, good base for a friendly rivalry!