International Simulation Football League
*Mark Grau Contract Extension Press Conference - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Mark Grau Contract Extension Press Conference (/showthread.php?tid=9126)

*Mark Grau Contract Extension Press Conference - keanex - 06-12-2018

On Tuesday June 12th Mark Grau and GM SuperSquare sat down for contract negotiations which took a few hours. As of 3:07 PM EST Mark Grau and SuperSquare struck a team friendly and player friendly deal that totals $3 million over 3 years, with an opt-out option after season 9.

Mark Grau reaches the podium

Mark Grau: So as many of you have heard the Yeti and I have reached a 3 year $3 million deal with the option to opt-out after season 9 finishes. I'm here to take any questions on the contract, my time in Colorado, and my future with the Yeti.

Cathy Chatterton: Hi Mark, Cathy from WSPN Colorado. Why did the negotiations take multiple hours? Why is the contract so small?

Mark Grau: Hey Cathy, well let's take these questions one at a time. The contract negotiation wasn't much of an issue. SuperSquare and I were mostly chatting about things other than the contract. We were talking about my time in Colorado, how I'm feeling about my time here, how I'm feeling about my role here, and how I'm feeling about the switch to wide receiver. The contract might have taken 15 minutes to get some wording correct, but the contract wasn't an issue. I think we took longer figuring out what to order for lunch.

Now why is the contract small? I don't need money. I've made more in my time in the DSFL and NSFL than I'd ever need in my life. I live modestly, I still drive a Nissan, my wife still shops at the grocery store. What I want to do is allow the Yeti to have money to sign any big free agents that may be available this season.

I want to help my team have the best opportunity to win, money was never the issue.

Cathy Chatterton: Well what about the opt-out that's written into the contract? That doesn't seem like you have much confidence in the Yeti.

Mark Grau: While I love the Yeti, I don't know what the future for me, or the Yeti holds. I love the direction in which we are headed. We have the most wins the franchise has seen in the past few seasons with a young and active team. On top of the current talent we just locked in defensive tackle legend Eli Kamaka. I feel good about the Yeti, but I don't like feeling constrained in the future. Things could change in my personal life or with the Yeti and I don't want either of us to be on the hook for potential future stuff.

Ted Tapper: Ted Tapper here, NSFL Reference, what sort of issues do you forsee going forward that would be hindered by a long-term deal?

Mark Grau: From a personal perspective, you never know how injuries could play out. I like my teammates a lot and if I'm hurt and unable to play then my money is tied up with the team. You always hear about, "Oh he has to get paid," but let's be honest here, we've all got more money than I know what to do with. Not to brag but I made $100 thousand in investments last year. I never made more than $65 thousand in my life before playing in the DSFL and NSFL. Money isn't the issue, it's a matter of the team and all that encompasses it.

Speaking of the team, right now I love the team. I love the Yeti in all capacity and I hope that nothing changes with that. I can't predict the future though and as much as I hope things stay the same or get better, that isn't always the case. If something horrible to happen within the organization, I have an out.

Mike Mullenhowerson: Mike Mullenhowerson here, County Press, how are you feeling about your role with the Yeti and your change of position?

Mark Grau: Well as I said previously, I really love Colorado and I feel very optimistic about the Yeti. We have an exciting group of young guys that are becoming leaders. Howard Miller and Dwayne Aaron who are an electric one two combo, both are emerging as dangerous receivers and they're still young. Applehort is starting to make some incredible strides thanks to these two. Our defense is in a similar position and exciting is the word that keeps coming to mind.

As for my role? Well I like that I’m becoming more comfortable as a running back and I look forward to becoming a big name in the NSFL. It’s not a matter of when, it’s a matter of if.

Mike Mullenhowerson: You’re currently fifth in rushing yards with 483, but you’re only averaging 3.3 yards per carry. This is second worse among starting running backs in the league. What’s going on there?

Mark Grau: It’s been partly me getting used to the role, and partly the coaches working out the offense to see what works best and what doesn’t work. In regards to the first point, it’s not an easy transition from wide receiver to running back. I had to put on some weight to be able to handle the three down role, and let me tell you, adding over 20 pounds takes some adjusting to. The running style is different too. As a receiver you’re not really expected to run people over, it’s a finesse thing and you count on agility and making smart decisions to avoid hard collisions when you’re running with the ball. When you’re a running back sometimes it’s necessary to lower your shoulder and run through a cornerback. It’s taking adjustment and it’s a day to day process.

In regards to the coaching, well I can’t expand on it too much, but we’re a new team with a lot of synergy to build. This is my first year on the team. Applehort and Miller’s second year on the team. Aaron’s third year on the team. It takes time to build up synergy with all parts of the offense, so we’re moving parts around, seeing what works best. I think the passing game has really gotten better and we’re going to figure out the running game in terms of what style works best and what sets work best. It’s a learning process.

Cathy Chatterton: Going back to the contract, did you and your wife discuss this prior or was this something you chose solely?

Mark Grau: The wife and I made the decision together, and she agrees that money isn’t an issue. Alright thanks for the questions all, I’ve gotta go!

Code:
1123 words, ready for grading

*Mark Grau Contract Extension Press Conference - Bzerkap - 06-12-2018

Actually no one heard this news before right now

Who is Mark Grau?

*Mark Grau Contract Extension Press Conference - keanex - 06-12-2018

(06-12-2018, 04:30 PM)Bzerkap Wrote:Actually no one heard this news before right now

Who is Mark Grau?
Oh boi

*Mark Grau Contract Extension Press Conference - dropbear - 06-14-2018

Stoked to have you long-term! This offense simply isn't the same without you COL

*Mark Grau Contract Extension Press Conference - keanex - 06-14-2018

(06-14-2018, 02:43 AM)dropbear Wrote:Stoked to have you long-term! This offense simply isn't the same without you  COL
Back atcha. We have such a young offense primed to make a huge splash with all of the recent changes.