International Simulation Football League
*A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick (/showthread.php?tid=45041)

Pages: 1 2 3

*A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - aeonsjenni - 04-15-2023

Hi everyone! About a week ago, you may be aware that the S41 class, one of the biggest and most active classes in recent memory, found a new ISFL team to call home during the draft. There is already a lot that's been written on this draft and I want to get into it soon enough, but the first thing I'd want to do is have a look at my very own draft pick, second overall to the Colorado Yeti. You're probably already aware that this pick was not meant to belong to the Yeti themselves—who finished the S40 season with a middling but not bad 7-8-1 record—but rather was originally a pick for the Baltimore Hawks, who finished with the second-worst record in the league at 5-11. As it turns out, during the S40 draft, the Hawks traded away their future first round pick in exchange for the wide receiver Rocky Moreaux and the user @qWest, whose previous player Tatsu Nakamura is strongly in contention as one of the greatest running backs in league history. Along with Moreaux came Colorado's third round draft pick in S40, which was the last remaining S40 pick they had available, leaving them with a totally empty draft. What makes all of this of any serious interest is that Moreaux himself was drafted by Colorado with a pick they traded for in S37, using picks they had acquired in a previous trade, and so on. What this results in is a draft tree of sorts that goes backwards in time, starting with the trade that sent the S41 2OA pick to Colorado (because I'm vain). Let's have a closer look:

1. Terminology

You may be aware of the article The Giving Tree, a fantastic article written by @Baron1898, which discusses the resulting trade tree that comes from a massive trade that went through in the very earliest days of the league. That article covers an absolutely massive draft tree spanning what must be at least 100 trades and over 30 seasons, and is frankly in every conceivable way a more detailed and expansive article than what this is ever going to be. What's different between this tree and Baron's tree, outside of scale, is that my tree goes backwards in time, tracking the "ancestors" of the S40 draft trade, whereas Baron's goes forwards in time, tracking the "descendants" of the massive S1 trade. It may in that case be more accurate to call mine a trade "root", but I'll stick with "tree" for now. It is possible to track trades both forwards and backwards to make a trade "web", but tracking this gets out of hand very very quickly, so I will not. After looking through ISFL trades for a good while, I think I'll conjecture that approximately 90% or more of all trades are linked together in the very same trade web, with most of the other webs being singletons or containing only a few trades. Actually proving this would be a massive undertaking.

2. Yet Another Preamble

I've ordered all of the trades in the tree in an order in which the most significant branch is numbered 1-12, and the other branches are numbered afterwards. There are 21 trades in this tree, with the most recent happening in S40 and the oldest happening in S22. Here is a graphic that I made (thanks to @infinitempg for giving me a program to use) that shows the structure of the tree:

[Image: Trade_Tree.png]

3. The Trades

The player name in parentheses after a pick is the player eventually taken with that pick, and vise-versa. In the case of a player joining a new team in Free Agency or an expansion draft, I consider their trade history to break at that point, as they did not move to a new team via trade.

1. BAL trades BAL S41 1st (Mary Marie) for Rocky Moreaux (CHI S37 1st) & COL S40 3rd (Quandale Dingle) from COL
S40 Draft Trade; no thread

2. CHI trades CHI S37 1st (Rocky Moreaux) for COL S37 2nd (Stryker Brown) & BAL S37 2nd (Brock Landers Jr.) from COL
S37 Draft Trade; no thread

3. BAL trades BAL S37 2nd (Brock Landers Jr.) for Mrs. “Stacks” McHits (S32 NYS 2nd) from COL
S37

4. PHI trades Mrs. “Stacks” McHits (S32 NYS 2nd) for COL S33 1st (Raphael McTurtle) & COL S33 2nd (Able Archer) from COL
S32

5. OCO trades NYS S32 2nd (Mrs. “Stacks” McHits) & OCO S33 2nd (Christian Marciano) for HON S32 3rd (Jessie Carson) & PHI S33 1st (DeAndre King) & PHI S33 2nd (Mason Jones) from PHI
S32

6. OCO trades OCO S32 1st (Pasta The Turtle) for BAL S32 2nd (Garfield Despacito III) & NYS S32 2nd (Mrs. "Stacks" McHits) & BAL S33 1st (Gus Bus) from BAL
S30

7. NYS trades Wesley Eriksen (Free Agent) & NYS S32 2nd (Mrs. "Stacks" McHits) for Chunt The Badger (SAR S28 1st) & NYS S32 3rd (Owen Baker) from BAL
S30

8. SAR trades SAR S28 1st (Chunt the Badger) for Mike Karpaasi (SJS S23 3rd) & PHI S28 2nd (Stumpy Jones) from BAL
S28

9. SAR trades SAR S27 1st (Maui Waialiki) & SAR S28 4th (Gritt Gurdur) & Mike Karpaasi (SJS S23 3rd) for Ernest Lover (AUS S26 1st) from BAL
S27

10. SAR trades YKW S23 2nd (Kai Sakura) for SJS S23 3rd (Mike Karpaasi) & YKW S23 3rd (Running Back) from YKW
S23

11. SAR trades Laszlo Forty-Two (S22 EXP 9OA) & YKW S23 3rd (Running Back) for YKW S23 2nd (Kai Sakura) & Chris Ramos (YKW S21 6th) from YKW
S22

12. YKW trades YKW S23 3rd (Running Back) for Chase Jansen (Free Agent) from SAR
S22

13. HON trades HON S32 3rd (Jessie Carson) for PHI S30 4th (Caleb Watterson) & PHI S32 4th (Don Keedic) from PHI
S32

14. BAL trades BAL S32 2nd (Sakeem Webb) for NYS S31 2nd (Paul Monitor) & NYS S31 3rd (Rookie Sensation) & NYS S32 3rd (Owen Baker) from NYS
S30

15. PHI trades PHI S28 2nd (Stumpy Jones) & Jeremiah Zelos (AUS S24 2nd) for BAL S28 2nd (Romulus Roman) & BAL S28 3rd (C.J. Sonjack) from BAL
S27

16. AZ trades AUS S24 2nd (Jeremiah Zelos) & AUS S24 4th (Sasha Medved) for PHI S24 2nd (Taro Raimon) from PHI
S23

17. AUS trades HON S23 2nd (Julio Jones) & AUS S24 2nd (Jeremiah Zelos) & AUS S24 4th (Sasha Medved) for Slinky Claxton (AZ S22 6th) & AZ S23 2nd (Griffin Porter) from AZ
S23

18. HON trades AUS S22 3rd (Eddie Jeeta) & HON S23 2nd (Julio Jones) for HON S22 7th (Bayden Brosley) & AUS S23 1st (Ray-Ray Jackson) & AUS S23 2nd (Bane Ka'ana'ana) from AUS
S22

19. HON trades HON S22 1st (Colt Mendoza) & HON S22 7th (Bayden Brosley) for AUS S22 1st (Phat Boi) & AUS S22 3rd (Eddie Jeeta) & AUS S22 5th (Jack Banks) & AUS S22 8th (Daymond Brooks) from AUS
S21

20. AUS trades AUS S26 1st (Ernest Lover) & AUS S26 3rd (Chet Larson) for Maverick Bowie (BAL S24 1st) from BAL
S24

21. SJS trades SJS S23 3rd (Mike Karpaasi) for Orien Drake  (YKW S18 4th) from YKW
S22

In broad strokes, there were a couple trades involving the Rocky Moreaux and the pick used to draft him (#1-#2), which connected to a ridiculous sequence of 5 trades involving first the player Mrs. "Stacks" McHits, then the S32 NYS pick used to draft her(#3-#7). At this point, the tree splits into its most significant branch (#15-#19), connecting a series of trades made between S21 and S27, ending in a big trade between Honolulu and Austin, allowing Austin to take the first overall pick in the massive S22 draft, @iStegosauruz. This trade is the oldest trade in the trade tree, and despite involving 6 separate picks, every pick had no prior trade history, so this branch ends here. Back to going up the main branch, Sarasota and Baltimore trade Mike Karpaasi back and forth a few times before Sarasota abandons Baltimore and Mike Karpaasi in favor of trading Running Back with the Yellowknife Wraiths before coming to the end of the trade tree.

4. PING!
My Trade Tree Relatives

The most direct "ancestor" to the S41 2OA pick is Rocky Moreaux, who I've already mentioned, and as the S41 2OA pick was traded for Colorado's S40 3rd round pick directly, that makes the player drafted with that pick—Quandale Dingle @McGriddy10—Mary Marie's trade brother.  These three players have exactly the same trade tree.

Progenitor Trade Ancestors:
These are the players/picks whose trades have no ancestors before them, leaving them at the very end of their respective branches.

Trade #12: Running Back, YKW S23 3rd @Nykonax; Chase Jansen @dizzyDC

Trade #21: Mike Karpaasi, SJS S23 3rd @puolivalmiste; Orien Drake, YKW S18 4th @Rublic

Trade #20: Ernest Lover, AUS S26 1st @Mojojojo; Chet Larson, AUS S26 3rd @Tomasnz; Maverick Bowie, BAL S24 1st @Tonzy

Trade #19: Colt Mendoza, HON S22 1st @iStegosauruz; Bayden Brosley, HON S22 7th @sensual-snickers-bar; Momona Keiki-Kāne, AUS S22 1st, @BadLck; Eddie Jeeta, AUS S22 3rd @QuirkyTurtle; Jack Banks, AUS S22 5th @TheRocheLimit; Daymond Brooks, AUS S22 8th @ForSucksFake

Trade #14: Sakeem Webb, BAL S32 2nd @DELIRIVM; Paul Monitor, NYS S31 2nd @Hallmonitor_20; Rookie Sensation, NYS S31 3rd @tlk742; Owen Baker, NYS S32 3rd @Pocketsand007

Trade #13: Jessie Carson, HON S32 3rd @YA_Tittle; Caleb Watt, PHI S30 4th @Spartan; Don Keedic, PHI S32 4th @bry.dailey

Some people I recognize:
@DarknessRising's HOF player Kai Sakura was involved in Trade #10 and Trade #11, in which YKW traded their pick they would eventually use to get him to SAR, then would get it back in a later trade with SAR. Darkness is one of the more social and engaged HO members, and I really appreciate that of him. He really seems to have the best interest of the members of the league in mind for the most part.

@Mojojojo, DSFL HO member, has her player Ernest Lover (I cannot find out whether Ernest is in the HOF or not, but they may qualify) traded twice within the tree, once as a draft pick traded to Baltimore and later as a player traded to Sarasota. I haven't interacted with Mojo very much but she was one of the early people to comment on my first serious media, and I am very appreciative of that.

@iStegosauruz, one of the members of my new team in the Colorado Yeti, had his first player Colt Mendoza drafted 1st overall by Austin after they traded the farm to get him in the S22 draft (Trade #19). Steg made an absolutely massive impact on the ISFL as soon as he joined the league, which is well known, but he's also been an absolutely fantastic person to be with in the Yeti LR. I'm still astonished that none of the draft picks involved in that massive trade had any kind of prior history.

@TheRocheLimit recently stepped down from their position as NYS GM, and their player, Jack Banks was drafted by Honolulu with the package that was traded to them by Austin in the aforementioned Trade #19. Sadly I have not really spoken to them.

@Hallmonitor_20 is another member of the S41 class as a recreate, and their old player Paul Monitor was involved in Trade #14.

Additionally, while I don't know the user:
Stumpy Jones @FootballIsCool (Trade #8, Trade #15) just retired, but is in the conversation as one of the greatest offensive linemen in league history.

Between the NYS S32 2nd round pick that was used to draft her, and the multiple times she was traded during her career, Mrs. "Stacks" McHits @MamaB appears in this trade tree 5 separate times, and is really the reason the tree is as big as it is. Runner up for that claim goes to Mike Karpaasi @puolivalmiste, who appears 4 times, twice as a player and twice as the SJS S23 2nd.

Final Thoughts

I'm sorry if you were expecting some grander analysis here. I suppose I'll think about looking into trade histories a bit more in the future, but really when I said this was "indulging my vanity" in the subtitle I meant it. As soon as the trade connections to the pick I was taken at in the draft went far back enough to be interesting, I wanted to have a look at what league history I might have been connected to. Personally the direct through-line to the big S22 trade for 1OA is probably the coolest connection, but having gone and asked about a number of these trades and players in the Colorado locker room, I'm astonished at how much personality and drama and life exists behind almost every one of these trades. Many of them have some kind of story behind them (I am sorry to @infinitempg and @woelkers and @IsaStarcrossed for traumatizing them with all of my questions about the old league), and I think that's why it interests me. A big part of me wants to create my own history during my time around the ISFL.

As a final and very important thing: I am standing on the shoulders of giants when writing this article. I reached out to @Baron1898 when working on the trade tree, and used data collected both by her and @SchwarzNarr when putting together the tree. The work they had both done (for separate projects) in collecting the endless muck of ISFL trade data was in-depth and tangible and is the only reason I was able to put any of this together.

Final-er Thoughts
Or: I wanted to write this anyways; also I'm very tired so don't expect anything too flowery

When I first joined the league in early February, I think I was sold on the concept itself pretty quickly, at least for a new user who had never participated in a sim league before. What gave me pause was that I had never really actively participated in an online community before. My interaction with the internet was almost entirely one-sided, and I rarely spoke with anyone else. A big reason for this is that the internet can generally be a very shitty place to be if you're a woman or queer or both. Past experiences told me that I would not stay for long; that it could be fun to make a player and join a team and so on, but I would inevitably be exposing myself to a steady deluge of hatred or ignorance; that I would be patronized or belittled; that I would watch powerless as other queer people were harassed, abused, or put down—directly or indirectly. Past experiences told me that no game would capture my attention enough that the little needling feeling of not belonging would not eventually push me out. I think past experiences were correct. While it doesn't quite compare to the nightmares of an older & crueller internet, I've definitely been subject to enough bullshit that I think I would have left a good while ago if I was just here to play a silly football RPG—it simply wouldn't be worth my time. But what has really truly surprised me is the number of queer people that have come before me and have managed to tough it out. Many of them chose to reach out to me directly to offer support and a conversation, and I cannot thank them enough for doing so. I won't ping them because I don't know who is okay with being outed or not, but they know who they are and I want them to know that I love and appreciate all of them. It's because of these people that I want to stay in the league—I want to stay and push to make the league better and to pass the kindness forwards. With that in mind, I'll set out to give some appreciation to some of the other people who deserve some love. I couldn't possibly put everyone here, and my blurbs are going to be pretty short, but just know that I like a lot of people that aren't given a shout-out here.

@wizard_literal I'm so very happy to have reached out to you to ask about doing a joint article together, because it was a great opportunity to get to know you as a person. You strike me as being a fairly confident guy, and I've spoken to you directly about many of these things, so I'll keep it light on the compliments, but I'm really happy to know you as a person. I also appreciate your sense of aesthetics when writing articles, it's something I'd definitely want to learn for myself. There's a reason the prospects review articles looked so nice, after all!

@baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 @baz1757 It's too bad I can only ping you once per article, but I hope you understand the sentiment behind the @baz1757. I really hope you stick around for a long time—please don't get too burned out GMing for two DSFL teams at once.

@Thor I'm so thankful that you thought I was worth bringing onto the Buccaneers during the DSFL draft, and I think the fact that BBB went from facing contraction to winning it all with such a fantastic energy in the locker room is mostly due to your efforts. Importantly to me, though I haven't mentioned it directly to you, is that I have seen you take homophobia and misogyny seriously, whether big or small, prompted or not. I don't think I really expected that of you upon early impressions so it's been a really nice surprise.

@Akoustique I remember being a little intimidated on draft night when I was taken into the Buccaneers locker room; I didn't really know anyone there, until I saw that you were around! You've been so consistently welcoming and friendly, you've got to be one of the most steady and reliable personalities around, and I think you're just great.

@Memento Mori Unlike with Akou, you were probably one of the more intimidating people around when I first joined BBB. You had clearly been around the block before, so I don't think I took the opportunity to get to know you so much until quite a bit later. Our conversations about our ISFL draft predictions ended up being a lot of fun, and I like your combination of candor and enthusiasm.

@Aleris I've only really gotten to know you in the last couple weeks through DSFL scouting and bringing you into BBB, but it's seriously been a blast to get you involved in our new season. You have so much energy that you are the internet version of the guy who lights up the room when you're around.

@IsaStarcrossed You were definitely the best scouting conversation I had, and the only one to break me away from just trying to run through the standard scouting questions like I did with most of the GMs that scouted me (sorry to the other GMs). I'm thankful for the patience you showed when I forgot to respond and left you on read for like 5 days, and also for the understanding you showed when I made a false assumption.

@fnordypsyduck I can't believe I've been living so much of my life without :hitthefloor:, so thank you for introducing me. You're an incredibly great guy and your scouting conversation is probably a big reason for me wanting to be a Yeti. Once again, please don't get too burned out GMing for two DSFL teams at once.

@infinitempg I've probably done it a million times now but I cannot thank you enough for sending me the play-by-play data when I was a brand-new user who was snooping around the index and TPE tracker. Your encouragement and help is a big reason for why I managed to get anything done with the expected points stuff.

@Tesla You've certainly heard it a million times before—I have not seen anyone who has interacted with you not think you're amazing—but it's worth repeating: You are such a kind and lovely person. You are concise and witty and smart and I could go on. Thank you for sticking around and being so welcoming when I joined the Yeti locker room.

@SchwarzNarr If I'm being totally honest you are probably my absolute favorite of all the people I've met so far in the league. I don't think I've seen anyone else encapsulate the full range you have from kindness and compassion, to stalwart dedication to others, and to a righteous anger that can match my own, and you've been nothing but considerate and empathetic and I cannot stress how much I appreciate it. Thank you.

To the Yeti: I cannot believe you guys exist. I straight up cannot believe it sometimes. I try to wrap my head around a community built around what is ultimately a football RPG creating a space that is so vibrant and inclusive and welcoming, and I can't do it. Thank you for being committed to that impossibility, and please never change.

There are certainly more people around that deserve a mention from me, but I'm very tired and want to send this article off before I go to bed. If you think you deserve a compliment you can always ask!

Thank you for reading!!

~Jenni

P.S. Because I don't have anywhere else to put it, if you remember my draft predictions article, I made a little graph that showed the relative number of new-creates in the first round versus new-creates in the rest of the class, and S41 stands alone in the modern-sim era as having only two re-creates be drafted in the 1st round! Additionally, it's only the second class to have new-creates outweigh re-creates in the first round relative to the rest of the class, and the first to break that margin by a number significant enough to be easily visible on the chart. Congrats to the S41 class for being so great!

[Image: chart.png]

RE: A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - baz - 04-15-2023

@aeonsjenni some great work again per the usual enjoy this retaliation ping

RE: A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - aeonsjenni - 04-15-2023

(04-15-2023, 05:33 AM)baz1757 Wrote: @aeonsjenni some great work again per the usual enjoy this retaliation ping

@baz1757 I'm pretty sure quoting a post and also pinging the same user will ping them twice, depending on their settings >:]

RE: A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - infinitempg - 04-15-2023

[Image: 7i6aqu.png]

continue doing your amazing work Smile

RE: A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - wizard_literal - 04-15-2023

⠀  ⠀  (\__/)      @aeonsjenni
      (•ㅅ•)      Don’t ping
    _ノヽ ノ\_      me or my son @baz1757
`/ `/ ⌒Y⌒ Y  ヽ    ever again.
(  (三ヽ人  /   |
| ノ⌒\  ̄ ̄ヽ  ノ
ヽ___>、__/
      |( 王 ノ〈  (\__/)
      /ミ`ー―彡\  (•ㅅ•)
     / ╰    ╯\ /\>

(04-15-2023, 10:42 AM)wizard_literal Wrote: ⠀  ⠀  (\__/)      @aeonsjenni
      (•ㅅ•)      Don’t ping
(  (三ヽ人  /   |
| ノ⌒\  ̄ ̄ヽ  ノ
ヽ___>、__/
      |( 王 ノ〈  (\__/)
      /ミ`ー―彡\  (•ㅅ•)
     / ╰    ╯\ /\>

@wizard_literal @baz1757 I can't believe nobody is going to respond with:

"PONG!"

RE: A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - SchwarzNarr - 04-15-2023

i cry. u are too cute and wonderful. do not change.

RE: A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - wizard_literal - 04-15-2023

(04-15-2023, 10:45 AM)aeonsjenni Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 10:42 AM)wizard_literal Wrote: ⠀  ⠀  (\__/)      @aeonsjenni
      (•ㅅ•)      Don’t ping
(  (三ヽ人  /   |
| ノ⌒\  ̄ ̄ヽ  ノ
ヽ___>、__/
      |( 王 ノ〈  (\__/)
      /ミ`ー―彡\  (•ㅅ•)
     / ╰    ╯\ /\>

@wizard_literal @baz1757 I can't believe nobody is going to respond with:

"PONG!"

@aeonsjenni You're right it does double PING when you quote and mention!

RE: A Quick History on the S41 2OA pick - Baron1898 - 04-15-2023

You are incredibly kind. This is a wonderfully put together article and I’m glad I helped in a small way.

(04-15-2023, 11:38 AM)Baron1898 Wrote: You are incredibly kind. This is a wonderfully put together article and I’m glad I helped in a small way.

your help was not small at all! I'm very appreciative of the work you did